Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

location of clock in system

Options
  • 11-05-2011 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

just wondering if there are any rules governing where a 'clocking in' system has to be located in relation to an employees office/work station..... it looks likely we are going to be asked to clock in another building a few minutes walk away - not a problem on a good day but not looking forward to running back and forth in inclement weather.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

The place is gone to the dogs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

As mush as I hated the expression "be lucky you have a job in this economic climate" its infinity better than opinions like these

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

so they are going to make you walk a few minutes... which lets round up to 10min since you need to like get your coats on etc... which lets round up to 20min since we all smoke these days and are allowed to go out for a smoke break... which lets rouns up to 30min for... well i dont know why we will round this one up...

but If i am clocked in to work at 8am in building #1... happy days i am getting paid.

Though knowing my i will check in at 8am and check out at 7pm anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

amoppet wrote: »
    just wondering if there are any rules governing where a 'clocking in' system has to be located in relation to an employees office/work station..... it looks likely we are going to be asked to clock in another building a few minutes walk away - not a problem on a good day but not looking forward to running back and forth in inclement weather.:confused:

If it not a problem, then the weather is relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I worked briefly for a company where a similar issue arose.

Firstly the company provides umbrellas in the lobby of both buildings as a courtesy. But the employees stole the nice big "golf type" umbrellas with the company logos. Then they stole the jackest provided to replace the umbrellas.

The HR Manager then put two and two together and realized :

(a) That if the weather was bad in the morning then people would wear suitable rain gear coming to work so he did not need to provide any rain gear.

(b) If it started raining in the evening, having been dry in the morning, that folks would get wet going to their cars/buss anyway and if he provided jackets and umbrellas they would seal them again.

So he issues a memo recommending that given the fact that we live in Ireland everyone should wear a jacket and carry an umbrella to work every day, just in case it rained. (I think that this was sent out tongue in cheek :rolleyes: )

The Manufacturing Manager then received loads of whiney complaints:mad: and because he liked the quiet life, he looked into the "problem".He did his sums and realized that installing a new clock in machine in the remote building would save him 30 min work per day per person and the cost of the machine and installation would be paid back in 3 months. So a new clock in machine was installed in the remote building and the workers there were happy.

Sadly they were Only Briefly Happy.::(

Because now they had to do an extra 30 min of actual work and they to come in early to get their coffee/tea at the canteen in building one if they wanted one before they started work in teh remote building as they were not allowed to walk over to the other building until break time once clocked in.

Be careful what you wish for......:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

amoppet wrote: »

There are none if the clock is on the same premises, same company campus. Surely you'll have had to make your way to work anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

this complaint sounds very petty - sorry!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mari2222 wrote: »
    this complaint sounds very petty - sorry!

Ludicrous you mean surely, and without any apology?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 amoppet

had actually forgotten about this.....but cheers guys ye were a great help... was only asking in case there was some way we cud wriggle out of it - is that not what a responsible employee is supposed to do...... 'be glad i've a job' ... yep i am.... love it mostly, that was a bad day - as perfect as i am, i do have them!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,073 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Those of us with cushy jobs in teaching often have to outside to go from one temporary building to another, I generally have to go outside between every class. Surprisingly, this being Ireland, we don't get wet nearly as often as you would imagine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement