Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC Wireless Problems

Options
  • 10-05-2011 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hello there!

For the last two days or so..the campus wifi has been absolutely dismal (here is a speed test http://www.speedtest.net/result/1290239788.png).

Has anybody got any idea whats going on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Plug in network in residences aint been much better.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1291535373.png

Got that from Vic Lodge and ours in plug in like.

The WiFi is never great on campus, but it does tend to get worse around exam time - I assume it's just because of the increased numbers making use of it at the same time, the contention ratio shoots up and speed decreases as a result. That may or may not explain the issues with plug-in connections in VL though…

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jreanor

It seems to have suddenly go back to normal this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

It has been very volatile the last week alright. Sometimes fine, other times appalling. When it was bad there at one stage, i did a speed test on it and apparently i was getting <100kb/s, as well as dreadful pings(over a second, i think).

Probably an unrelated issue but a lot of the time, the ucc wifi doesnt work with google chrome, only internet explorer(Which is dire to use, especially with a slow connection). Firefox never works either. Anything that can be done about this?

Zonda999 wrote: »
    It has been very volatile the last week alright. Sometimes fine, other times appalling. When it was bad there at one stage, i did a speed test on it and apparently i was getting <100kb/s, as well as dreadful pings(over a second, i think).

Probably an unrelated issue but a lot of the time, the ucc wifi doesnt work with google chrome, only internet explorer(Which is dire to use, especially with a slow connection). Firefox never works either. Anything that can be done about this?

Chrome works fine for me on the campus wifi and on the plug in campus networks? Firefox is blocked. Took me 20 minutes to download one lecture during the week. Once again using my Vic Lodge network. This morning I ran it again from here...was over 540 pings. Crazy stuff. Suppose the campus network was just overused between 8am and 11pm. They need to sort this stuff out. Bad form here like, especially for us living with this connection...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

Speeds have been nice all day today in the wgb, getting about 18 mbits

btw, what proxy settings are you guys (the ones that are having trouble with firefox and chrome) using

Edit
    do we have to register to use the campus "plug in" network

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

If anyone's feeling the pain today, here a reason why..

1299829601.png

Campus plug in...

1301602715.png

Would they ever fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

1302065459.png

:D

but then the lan in the wgb has been good all the time. im wondering is it the boole proxy thats bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Lads chrome does work on the UCC network, just requires a two sec fix to change a proxy(same reason that firefox won't work but can be fixed for chrome).

Do the following
    :Go to the toolbar on the right side of the chrome page
    :click on under the hood
    :click change proxy settings
    :then lan settings
    :under the proxy server box put the following in
    address: 10.255.255.10
    port: 8080
    :then click on advanced and tick the box that says use the same proxy for all protocols

Should hopefully work. You might need to untick the boxs if you say head home to your own wifi.

• Advertisement
Advertisement