Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Have to replace ECU on Ford Focus - need advice!

Options
  • 10-05-2011 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hello,

Ford Focus 1.6tdci cut out on me last week. Brought it to main dealer.

They have replaced the battery and I have now been told the ECU needs to be replaced. Will cost over €1k!

After replacing the battery, the car will not start.

I have looked at other posts on this forum; seems to be a problem with a lot of Fords.

What happened was:

Battery light was indicated on the dash, then lost power steering, ABS light came on and then lost all power.

Should I send the ECU for repair to ecutesting.com or can anyone give some advice?

Or should I buy the new ECU?

Thanks,

Unhappy Ford owner!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Get a second opinion. Sounds like alternator/battery failure to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭techman

Car won't start so will have to get it transported elsewhere.

I have contacted www.ecu-testing.com but they don't do ECU's on Focus 1.6tdci

Anyone recommend someone in Galway to look at this problem for me?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 alancuran

I think you should use services of some company which tune cars, they have all kinds of maps and ECU's and they should know exactly what happend and why it's not work and they will tune your engine as well : )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Second opinion as per Confab.

Find a reputable garage and ask them to collect the vehicle.

ECU swap sounds like finger in the wind stuff and is very expensive. I imagine you could swap one for a known good one to confirm in any event.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭djo789

Get a second opinion - find a local garage with the ECU reader check the error codes

I was asked 1K for a new seat for a mondeo by a galway ford dealer - when it actually was a €5 euro gear that I bought on ebay to fix it myself-
    I get the feeling they see an issue & just replace the part rather than spending any time looking into the actual problem within after all time is Your money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭techman

Thanks all but can anyone recommend another place in Galway to get this looked at?

I don't know of any.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭djo789

you could try these guys however I know nothing about them (google is great)
    www.autoexmoto.com/car_diagnostics.html

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

Ive come across these a few times, altenator regulator is in the ecu rather than on the altenator. Your altenator may have been over charging and if your regulator went faulty, it may have fried your ecu.

Not saying it is that, but it is a possibility

Advertisement