Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown algae - I think

Options
  • 10-05-2011 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

For some time, I have brown algae in my tank and all the plants I buy, end up covered in the brown algae. If the leaves are hardy enough, I can scrub them, but over time, even the stems are covered in it and can't scrub them all the way. I tried with weekly water changes (50%), 8 hours of light per day and nothing helps. I don't want to buy more plants because they'll end up in the bin after a while.

The tank is a Juwel 180l, standard lights - 2x25W and don't use any chemicals for the plants or CO2. I wouldn't mind starting all over again with the plants as I don't have too many, a few Anubias Barteri (as per photo), few Marimo balls and some strands of Water Hyssop, covered up to the top in brown algae.

Any help will be appreciated.

Algae.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Get yourself a pleco. The algae will be gone in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Get yourself a pleco. The algae will be gone in no time.

I have 2 Amano shrimps and 3 SAE, so I'm covered in this area, plus other bottom feeders (3 Yoyo loaches, 1 zebra loach, 3 kuhli loaches, 1 brown kuhli loach and 1 albino cory).
    thebishop wrote: »

I was told before to reduce the amount of light, that site says more light is needed, so which one do you think it is? If too much light, I can reduce it. If too little, I don't really know what to do as I have the standard lights for a Juwel tank. How do you guys go about adding more lights to your tanks, do you get rid of the standard ones and build some customs ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

You can increace the light by getting light tubes especially for growing plants.Any good pet shop should help.
    http://fish.mongabay.com/plant_care.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

All Juwel tanks use standard tubes, the 742mm that I have comes only as two types 25W, there's no higher wattage for this length.

Apart from increasing the light intensity (which I don't think I can do it), would plant nutrients help? If yes, what kind of nutrients are most suitable?

• Advertisement
Advertisement