Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live & Unsigned Dublin Band Competition Open To All Music Genres

Options
  • 10-05-2011 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Live and Unsigned Dublin Band Competition Free slots available for any musicians on 26th of May, 16th of June, 14th of July and the
    12th of August.

This competition takes place in The Pint Bar on Eden Quay Dublin 1

Its FREE to enter but we do require each band to bring 10 fans along on the night to be in with a chance of winning.

We get an average of 150 to 200 people to these gigs so you'll always get to play to a great crowd.

Prizes on the night include guest appearence on a new Irish TV Show on The City Channel and where you also get to play live on the show.

Full day recording at Trackmix Studio http://www.facebook.com/trackmixstudio , this guy is amazing, highly recommend

Free band Photo-Shoot with make-up artist

And €50 voucher's for Trackmix Studio for every band that enters the competition

if interested contact
    liveandunsigneddublin@gmail.com with all your bands details, links to music etc, also bio of the band/act including, age, where your based, and any other info

and also visit our facebook page and click like www.facebook.com/liveandunsigneddublin

We provide 2 guitar amps, one bass amp, 3 DI-boxs, full Pa with 3 mic's, all the usual drums equipment besides the snare, symbols, and hi hat clutch,

If you need additional amps, you can bring your own, or if you want to use your own that fine 2.

You get 20 minutes to play and 10mins to set up

Normally between 6 to 8 bands battle it out on the nights

You don't have to be Irish to enter, its open to any type of music or nationality living in Ireland

The winner is decided on the night by our 3 judges, and this is announced after the last band/act

oh if you get the chance check out this band www.facebook.com/24brokenamps

Comments

How much is a ticket into the gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Daycentbill

Papa Smut wrote: »
    How much is a ticket into the gig?

€6 entry fee for fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭IrishCian

Are the decisions by the judges made based on performance or purely by the reaction from the crowd? IE the more people you bring, better chances?

IrishCian wrote: »
    Are the decisions by the judges made based on performance or purely by the reaction from the crowd? IE the more people you bring, better chances?

no once you bring your 10 fans your entered into the competition, so if you bring more than 10 it wont change the judges mind but on the other hand, bands normally play better when they ve a good crowd behind them, but we wont just give it to the band who brings the most people, as thats not fair.

So in short we just give the prize to the best band on the night, simple as!!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭flameboy87

Is this not unfair against bands from the West as getting 10 people to travel the width of the country will be a task for any band that don't have a big name. I don't mean to be putting the gig down as I know its a decent venue but surely entry to a competition shouldn't be based on hauling so many people across the country.

• Advertisement

flameboy87 wrote: »
    Is this not unfair against bands from the West as getting 10 people to travel the width of the country will be a task for any band that don't have a big name. I don't mean to be putting the gig down as I know its a decent venue but surely entry to a competition shouldn't be based on hauling so many people across the country.

Sorry man, being honest with you thats not really our problem if you cant reach the requirements for entry, i would presume there is other band competition near where your based

If bands are coming from outside Dublin and are finding it hard to bring the 10 fans along to the gig, contact us anyway and we ll try and come to some agreement!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

This comp still available to enter?

DrumSteve wrote: »
    This comp still available to enter?

Yes Free slots available on 26th of May, 16th of June, 14th of July and the
    12th of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Excellent stuff.

Is it okay to enter if you haven't got anything recorded at this stage?

• Advertisement

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Excellent stuff.

Is it okay to enter if you haven't got anything recorded at this stage?

ya thats fine but we would like you to send us a bio , explaining what you sound like, age, where your based, and a link to your myspace or facebook even though you dont have anything recorded

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm not sure how I managed to miss this until now but what's a "music genge" as listed in the thread title?

Malice wrote: »
    I'm not sure how I managed to miss this until now but what's a "music genge" as listed in the thread title?

sorry I meant to say genres!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

sorry I meant to say genres!!
    I see. I've fixed that in the thread title now.

Malice wrote: »
    I see. I've fixed that in the thread title now.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Six to eight bands, ten fans each, €6 entry fee, so that's €360 - €480 gross without even doing any promotion work. Nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭billybenner

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Six to eight bands, ten fans each, €6 entry fee, so that's €360 - €480 gross without even doing any promotion work. Nice.

I wish it was that simple, theres an awl full amount of work that goes into running these nights.

Also there is lots of other costs, we have to pay for renting the venue

Pay the sound engineer

Buy the prizes

Printing Posters and flyers

Lots of people try running nights like this and they dont work, our night is successful because we put lots of time/work into making it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

El Pr0n wrote: »
    I wish it was that simple, theres an awl full amount of work that goes into running these nights.

Also there is lots of other costs, we have to pay for renting the venue

Pay the sound engineer

Buy the prizes

Printing Posters and flyers

Lots of people try running nights like this and they dont work, our night is successful because we put lots of time/work into making it that way.

we have to pay for renting the venue

Pay the sound engineer--- the pint is 100 quid engineer included.

Buy the prizes--whats the prize?

Printing Posters and flyers-- 50 euro in most printers for about 100 or so.

I'm going to nip this in the bud.

Please don't derail the thread. there are MANY threads already on here on the whole "promotor is ripping us off!!!111" Go to one of them if you have grievances. To be fair to Daycent Bill, he's been forthright about everything so far.

So, derail thread and receive an infraction.

we have to pay for renting the venue

Pay the sound engineer--- the pint is 100 quid engineer included.

Buy the prizes--whats the prize?

Printing Posters and flyers-- 50 euro in most printers for about 100 or so.

Off his walls, do you never give up attacking this night-

look ''El Pron'' stated above that he thought it was an easy few quid to make,
    so I let him know the extra costs he hadn't taken into account, the deal I have with the pint is I pay the sound engineer and the bar, and its really none of your business what I pay and this also goes up in prices when we do weekend night,

Also if you had bothered to read the thread before you launched in attach mode as usual, you will see the prizes are laid out very clearly for the nights in question and now we always give the winner 2 prizes on the night now before they leave the bar!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Off his walls, do you never give up attacking this night-

look ''El Pron'' stated above that he thought it was an easy few quid to make,
    so I let him know the extra costs he hadn't taken into account, the deal I have with the pint is I pay the sound engineer and the bar, and its really none of your business what I pay and this also goes up in prices when we do weekend night,

Also if you had bothered to read the thread before you launched in attach mode as usual, you will see the prizes are laid out very clearly for the nights in question and now we always give the winner 2 prizes on the night now before they leave the bar!!

+1

lads, if its as easy as you think it is and as good an earner as you think it is, then go out and set one up yourselves. sure there's nothing to it!

from what I know of this night, its pretty well run and the bands are usually happy with their lot. he's always here defending himself on Boards, this sh*t is just rehashed time and time again.

honestly, the negativity is just incredible on these Boards. there are good and bad promoters out there. the bands seem to be happy with this one and there doesn't seem to be hidden agendas. people vote with their feet.

My warning includes the "pro-promoter" camp too.

Drop it, or I'll lock it.

Advertisement