Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distinctive Bird call

Options
  • 10-05-2011 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭

Was over in the wood last week and it was just coming up to dusk. The birds were still quite active in singing their evening chorus but there was one very distinctive call that caught my attention as it seemed new to me, I stood listening and could not recall hearing it before. To describe it would be like 3 longish peeps followed by a pause and repeat of the call. Sound wise it was quiet strong like a bird the size of a blackbird or thrush would make. Any suggestions or am I losing the run of myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

cat-like could be long-eared owl chicks but I dont know if they are about at this time of year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The timing is right for Long-eared Owl young. They start nesting in February, incubate for up to 30 days and fledge 23 to 25 days later. So you could be spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Did a search on youtube of long-eared owl chicks and that is the call I heard. I have been walking that wood for a long long time and often had parliments of owls watching me feeding pheasants but that was the first time that their chicks call really stood out to me.

Advertisement