Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preserving top and side of silage pit

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I use plastic to seal mine properly, builders heavy guage polyethene along the walls before the silage goes in, usually get two years out of it. 2 sheets on top, one old and one new.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Uibh Fhaile

I usually do the same, except with normal polythene on the walls. The top of the pit is fairly good but the sides can still be very bad. Think maybe the silage is going to high over the walls that isn't helping either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

Very difficult to seal top alongside walls, in spite of all precautions taken. First year I made the pit I lapped polythene along the walls, though it was a task as the breeze kept blowing it over. Subsequently I just left it out, with no real difference. I put on two buckets of silasave all over which is probably a bit of a help. Only real way to success is try to seal it as much as possible; the past year I used an extra sheet (4) over pit which also was a help, though the crop going in was probably as dry as it has ever been ensiled anyway. Put a double row of sand bags, one on top of the other, pushed right into side of the wall where grass level was lower, which improved things I'd say. Lot of manual handling though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Uibh Fhaile

How much is a bucket of silasave ? will you use it again this year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

the work created by this waste silage is ridiculous during the winter

started draping the bottom layer of plastic over the pit wall before the clamp starts getting filled 2 years ago and what a difference. ZERO waste. i wounld not do it anyother way now. placing it is a pain in the ass alright but well worth not having to be cleaning out waste feed every couple of days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 09898531

As far as I know silasave is recommended for dry grass going in as it is to prevent moulds and fungi. We used it last year on very dry 1st cut and silage came out perfect. General recommendations are to use plastic along the walls and then fold this plastic over the top of the pit about 1m before sealing. They aren't jokin about wearing them rubber gloves either!

Advertisement