Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intercontinental Title

Options
  • 10-05-2011 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me when this title REALLY lost it's prestige?

Was there a specific date exactly? :D

There used to be a time when the next guy to the top guy (the wwf champ) was the IC holder. Nowadays the IC holder can be squashed in a match with someone who's could be in line for a shot at the wwe belt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭sixfingered

I would say it stopped mattering around the time they added the second World Title.

The likes of Jericho/Benoit/Angle moved up to the main event were the last people to feud over it and have it really matter IMO as it was a legit step on the ladder to the main event.

Since then it seems most guys who have come in and gotten over have been pushed into competing for one of the World Titles much earlier than in the past and the secondary titles have become an afterthought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Yep I always point the blame at the brand extension leading to the second world title. The people who would have fought for the IC Title now go for the WHC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,981 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'd say when they decided the US Title was to be their second tier title and they retired the IC Belt.

Austins promo did a good job of trying to build it back up when it was reintroduced, but the damage was already done.

The second World Title doesn't help either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The fact it has been defended once at WM since X7 tells its own story, and that one defence lasted what? 30 seconds?

It was swapped like cards during the attitude era, briefly ebcame popular again with Jericho, Benoit and Angle, then just died a death completely.

Cannot even remember the last time it was even remotely prestigous.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

It's only been defended once since wm 17??? jaysus, that's shocking.

I'd probably agree that when wcw titles were added that was the end of it.

I suppose much like the ppvs, less means more .... when there were only 4 on a year (with a few sat nights main events thrown in), now there's probably 1 ppv per month.

Fans who grew up on wrestling in the past 10 years probably don't realise that when looking through the history books having even 1 title run in the 80's or early 90's means more than someone who was a 5-time champion in the past decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

when the unwritten golden rule was broken (you know the one were no former heaveyweight champion can get the ic belt because its a step backwards)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Thats a good point actually. At a guess it would have been trippers who broke that particular "rule".

gimmick wrote: »
    Thats a good point actually. At a guess it would have been trippers who broke that particular "rule".

Correct back at No Mercy 2002 when HHH unified the Intercontinental title with his World Heavyweight Championship it was revived several months later at Judgement day 2003 but its been pretty much a worthless title since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,338 ✭✭✭✭Penn

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Correct back at No Mercy 2002 when HHH unified the Intercontinental title with his World Heavyweight Championship it was revived several months later at Judgement day 2003 but its been pretty much a worthless title since then.

It was before that wasn't it? After WM17 he won the IC title as part of the Two Man Power Trip

Barrington wrote: »
    It was before that wasn't it? After WM17 he won the IC title as part of the Two Man Power Trip

My bad just checked wikipedia HHH August 23 1999 first WWE world title and April 3rd 2001 the IC title for the 3rd time. Used to be a time were I could recall who won what when but now memory ain't so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

So to summarise ... pay no heed when checking through the history books of IC champions from 2003 onwards? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

op you want a specific date and time, september 2002, this exact moment

Advertisement