Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal responsibility

Options
  • 10-05-2011 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I'm on a graduate programme whereby I work in Ireland for 6 months then go to the US for 1 year. The problem I'm having is that the grant I'll receive to cover the cost of living while away is not enough to cover living expenses. This issue has also been identified and acknowledged by the governing body of the programme but they refuse to do anything about it.

I already know that this programme is coming in well under budget for them so access to money is not the issue....is there a legal obligation to help out or am i doomed to be screwed and live under a bridge while I'm based abroad?

Thanks!
    GM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I reckon it would be very , ahem , ' challenging ' to prove a legal obligation to increase your grant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 grovermail

I was afraid of that....the worst part is that all of the other graduates are perfectly covered by the grant (some even inordinately so).

Don't want to come off as ungrateful for the opportunity (given the times etc), it just seems a bit unreasonable to say "tough" to one while the rest are ok

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

grovermail wrote: »
    I was afraid of that....the worst part is that all of the other graduates are perfectly covered by the grant (some even inordinately so).

How are you different to the other graduates? Is it possible your conditions are discriminatory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I think you should have the personal responsibility to work out your own living expenses before committing to a holiday graduate programme abroad.

There is a legal discussion forum on boards if you want a second opinion.

Advertisement