Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many Farriers are in still working in Ireland?

Options
  • 10-05-2011 9:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

I am doing some research on the Farrier trade and would like to know how many are still in business today?
    Are they mainly employed by racing establishments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

Any Farrier we know of is self employed and independent. Is there not a register of Farriers for the country? I think it was mentioned in a couple of posts back...

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

there are about 300 people shoeing horses for a living in ireland, including many who are not fully qualified.
    the vast majority are self employed or employed by a senior farrier, i would guess that fewer than 10 are solely employed by racing yards.
    ballydoyle has at least one, and coolmore stud has at least 2 retained farriers, but thats all i know for sure.

Irish Farriers Register

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Any particular reason you want to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭finbarrk

A bit suspicious? Maybe wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I didn't know there was such a register and I am pleased to say that my (BRILLIANT) farrier is on it :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

very good :D

Advertisement