Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

For those of you with TV's, RSA Ads being shown?

Options
  • 10-05-2011 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,812 ✭✭✭✭

I don't have a TV myself so I'm curious to know if these videos are being shown on ad breaks at all?

http://vimeo.com/22234217

I hope so as this is a big problem on Irish roads and slows down the whole network if there is any kind of traffic volume. It's particularly noticeable when driving the likes of a big van with low acceleration power, if you want to overtake legally, you have to go from the left lane, to the middle lane, behind the middle lane driver who won't move to the left lane, wait for a break in the far right overtaking lane that's safe enough for you to get into with low acceleration, then slowly overtake the middle lane vehicle and move back to the left lane while a backlog of vehicles has built up behind, some of which who may now be trying to overtake on the left lane which you are then trying to get back into.

It's a simple rule, keep left unless overtaking, allowing merging traffic join or turning right ahead and when followed correctly contributes to much safer, smoother and efficient roads. If anyone has ever driven in the likes of France you'll see how well roads can work. It's a shame with all the new roads and motorways being completed recently that driver education and awareness is still very low meaning they aren't realised to their full potential.

Also, can somebody confirm whether the "Play" button when you click the image link on my facebook page of the same video, opens the embedded video or just opens a white space (this happens for me) facebook.com/VanTasks. Also feel free to share the video and spread the word and hopefully the roads will become a bit more efficient :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

After Hours -> Motoring

I don't see the video on your page, am I supposed to Like it first?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,812 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Was hoping this would stay in After Hours as this is a topic that is discussed at length in motors :D

You shouldn't have to like the page to see the video on the wall I don't think, I hope not anyway :o

No offence but it kinda comes across as spammy so rather than remove it I thought it should go here as it's about driving after all.

I'll put up a screenshot of what I can see soon, busy at work now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

:confused: Video came up no problem for me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Anyone see those 'Victory Day' knob jockeys holding up the M50 last Saturday?

I gave the knob in car #1 loads on the horn and he thought I was joining in :mad:

.... fail

• Advertisement

Thanks biko!

celticbest, the first link to the video should be fine and take you to the vimeo site, but the embedded video on my facebook pages wall isn't working for me which I was just curious about.

E39MSport, it's fruitless in most cases unfortunately :( I had a guy hit his brakes on me just last week when I came from the left lane to overtake him in the middle lane and gave him a little acknowledgement and move over flash in the process. Then as I was overtaking him he sped up and zoomed off into the horizon :confused:

This is what I see, where is the video supposed to be?
    http://img.ie/images/a4858.jpg

Maybe the peeps in the Social forum or Tech can help you how to embed vimeo?
    There's a tutorial here http://marketingtech101.com/facebook/embed-vimeo-video-facebook-page-tab.html

I'm on Firefox3 btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

E39MSport wrote: »
    I gave the knob in car #1 loads on the horn and he thought I was joining in :mad:

.... fail

/facepalm :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

cormie wrote: »
    I don't have a TV myself so I'm curious to know if these videos are being shown on ad breaks at all?

http://vimeo.com/22234217

I hope so as this is a big problem on Irish roads and slows down the whole network if there is any kind of traffic volume. It's particularly noticeable when driving the likes of a big van with low acceleration power, if you want to overtake legally, you have to go from the left lane, to the middle lane, behind the middle lane driver who won't move to the left lane, wait for a break in the far right overtaking lane that's safe enough for you to get into with low acceleration, then slowly overtake the middle lane vehicle and move back to the left lane while a backlog of vehicles has built up behind, some of which who may now be trying to overtake on the left lane which you are then trying to get back into.

It's a simple rule, keep left unless overtaking, allowing merging traffic join or turning right ahead and when followed correctly contributes to much safer, smoother and efficient roads. If anyone has ever driven in the likes of France you'll see how well roads can work. It's a shame with all the new roads and motorways being completed recently that driver education and awareness is still very low meaning they aren't realised to their full potential.

Also, can somebody confirm whether the "Play" button when you click the image link on my facebook page of the same video, opens the embedded video or just opens a white space (this happens for me) facebook.com/VanTasks. Also feel free to share the video and spread the word and hopefully the roads will become a bit more efficient :)

I think it's really sad to see that the country is absolutely broke yet we somehow have a few million to churn out TV ads reminding people of the blinding f*cking obvious, I mean the absolute basic fundamentals of driving.

I think these ads are an absolutely rediculous waste of very tight tax payers funds at this time and are symptomatic of the f*cked up attitude that we have in this country, spoon feeding people and trying to cadjole people into a type of acceptable behaviour when the attitude is that people are fully educated but just determined to take the p*ss all the time. Throwing money at poorly thought out projects that in all reality will have no impact on the outcome that we would be hoping for, is what we are great at in this country.

If someone has a level of proficiency of driving that is so poor that they are not aware of how to properly drive and overtake on a motorway, then how on earth did they get a full driving license??? And if they don't have a full driving license, what are they doing driving illegallly on a motorway, no amount of fancy TV ads will address that issue. Same for ignorant and agressive behaviour on the roads, you are p*ssing into the wind trying to educate these people.

biko wrote: »
    This is what I see, where is the video supposed to be?
    http://img.ie/images/a4858.jpg

Maybe the peeps in the Social forum or Tech can help you how to embed vimeo?
    There's a tutorial here http://marketingtech101.com/facebook/embed-vimeo-video-facebook-page-tab.html

I'm on Firefox3 btw.

Sorry, the video is embedded in my most recent wall post, which you should be able to see without liking the page at all, by clicking "wall" on the left in your picture, it will then be the top post with the video. Clicking the vimeo link at the top of the post opens vimeo no problem for me, but clicking the image with the play symbol expands the page to allow the video to be shown, embedded, but the video doesn't load and it's just a blank space. Probably getting slightly off topic here, it's probably just a vimeo/facebook issue. I see the link you provided is for embedding into the FBML tab, which would be nifty alright but this is just a query on my wall post. Thanks a lot for your help though :)

I agree with you HellFireClub, it's a pity that it was allowed get to a stage where the ads are probably somewhat of a necessity in order to educate drivers. A case of finding a cure and not a prevention.

So are the ads being aired anyway? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The ads aren't good enough to be honest. They aren't clear or precise and aren't firm or direct enough to change peoples way of driving.

I mean it says in the advert that you can use the middle lane to allow cars to merge onto the motorway, thats BS people should be capable of merging onto a motorway without the need for the cars on the motorway to change lanes.

They also don't firmly state after this that they should immediately return to the driving lane and stay there until they have to overtake.

They also don't state that it is illegal to undertake cars traveling in the middle lane, I think this is a serious omission.

The lack of any punishment for not following the rules, either mentioned on the adverts or implemented in reality is the real reason why people wont learn how to drive properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

draffodx wrote: »
    The ads aren't good enough to be honest. They aren't clear or precise and aren't firm or direct enough to change peoples way of driving.

Well it's a start... better than the "body to Body" / "I can't take my eyes off YOU" mega-mix they usually show.

Could be a lot better alright, and should also state multi-lane as opposed to motorway with the added turning right ahead rule. Or else you end up with threads like this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056148217 where people think it's only necessary to drive this way on motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I've seen the ads being shown alright but if anythign I think the problem is gettign worse on the M50. I'm also noticing peoples ability to use roundabouts properly getting worse since the roundabout ad started, though it's probably just that I'm lookign out for it more.

On the roundabout thing it really is shocking the amount of people I encounter indicating right to go straight through a roundabout (often while in the right lane aswell). People too lazy to go around the roundabout and just going straight from the left lane across the right lane and back out the left lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

If we need ads to tell people something basic it really goes to show how bad the level of driving is in this country.

Mully_2011 wrote: »
    If we need ads to tell people something basic it really goes to show how bad the level of driving is in this country.

No one is ever taught how to drive on a motorway, its not even part of the full driving test, its no surprise that people cant drive on motorways when there is no education.

No one is ever taught how to drive on a motorway, its not even part of the full driving test, its no surprise that people cant drive on motorways when there is no education.

Agreed.... in fairness, it is a start.

Obviously a disgrace that driver education is so bad it's necessary, but it's the kind of stuff expected of Ireland at this stage....

Agreed.... in fairness, it is a start.

I agree, its about time the RSA took this direction and I am fully in favour of "how to" ads as long as the quality and information improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

The important issue here is why the OP does not have a TV :confused:

qz wrote: »
    The important issue here is why the OP does not have a TV :confused:

Because they have the internet, and that doesn't require you to pay silly amounts of money for the shíte broadcast on RTÉ :D

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Slight OT: But they are trying to widen the TV license to any device that can display TV broadcast so that would include laptops,PC,phones,game consoles etc. Dont think it will happen as it would be a latop/pc tax or will it....

Oh, if they can attempt to tax it...they will.... just wait...

It's only a matter of time until there's an air tax tbh.... only so much tax you can put on fuel.... wait til they figure out the fire triangle. Two more components of fire to tax! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

yea but how much training do you need on a motorway? really its not that hard keep left unless overtaking its really is just common sense

Mully_2011 wrote: »
    yea but how much training do you need on a motorway? really its not that hard keep left unless overtaking its really is just common sense

I agree but a lot of Irish people seem to lack common sense, sometimes i question if they are even alive!

Here's what I'd like to see as part of the test for motorway driving:

Merging onto a motorway at sufficient speed
    Correct lane discipline on the motorway
    Correct overtaking procedures on a 2 and 2+ lane motorway
    Correctly traveling in the driving lane while cars merge without the need to move into an overtaking lane

Correctly traveling in the driving lane while cars merge without the need to move into an overtaking lane

You've mentioned this twice now, of course it's easy to adjust your speed to allow merging without the need to change lane, but why not just continue at your desired speed (which will likely be higher than those merging) by simply moving into an overtaking lane? Again when driving a vehicle which relies on momentum, to keep pace this is even more reason to change lane :)

cormie wrote: »
    You've mentioned this twice now, of course it's easy to adjust your speed to allow merging without the need to change lane, but why not just continue at your desired speed (which will likely be higher than those merging) by simply moving into an overtaking lane? Again when driving a vehicle which relies on momentum, to keep pace this is even more reason to change lane :)

I have no problem with that, what I mean is that traffic merging should be up to speed by the time they are entering the motorway and not forcing people into the overtaking lane to keep momentum.

But on occasion I've seen cars traveling at 70 - 80km/h in the driving lane pull into the overtaking lane when they've seen a car trying to merge even if the car trying to merge is miles ahead of them and wont interfere at all with their momentum.

:) in the case of a vehicle with low acceleration or top speed this won't always be possible but definitely if there's no need to move lane you shouldn't.

Another thing I'd like to see in such an ad is that if there's somebody in the hard shoulder broken down, that if free, move into the next lane to leave a gap of a lane between you. Makes a big difference if you're trying to have a look in the engine you can be that bit safer in the knowledge that if you see somebody change lanes, they are probably aware of you, whereas if not, I'll tend to hop back in behind the barrier.

Advertisement