Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the point of Gavin Friday?

Options
  • 09-05-2011 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to know if there are any actual fans of Gavin Friday out there? I saw him on Brendan O'Connor's show on Saturday night going over the same old ground of his friendship with Bono.
    I never thought much of the Virgin Prunes and their caterwauling that passed as "music". It seemed to me that in the days of punk, 3 or 4 talentless friends could get together and form a band - it didn't mean they were any good though.

It seems to me that Friday has been riding on the coat tails of Bono for the past 30 odd years and I still wonder if the guy has any sort of discernible talent at all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

He's a complete talent-free-zone and like you I have yet to meet a fan of his. He's been milking that U2 connection for decades. No idea how he funds his albums seeing as nobody buys them. He must have something serious on Bono and the lads because I can't see any reason other than blackmail why they would continually endorse his projects and pay him a wage as band "guru" or whatever he calls himself.

The guy really grinds my gears, he's the quintessential no trick pony, absolutely nothing of value to bring to the table. Total sham merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

What is the point of Gavin Friday?

He exists so Bono has a role model.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

He's a complete talent-free-zone and like you I have yet to meet a fan of his.

Ah that's very harsh, I'm a big fan of his comedy.

Here's a clip (one of many gems) of some of his best live performances, with his partner Halfwit Guggi.....hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭2cool4school

such a spa

whats wrong with this guy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭francois

such a spa

whats wrong with this guy?

Wow, what incisive criticism

Anyhow, like or loathe Virgin Prunes, they had quite an impact on the Irish (and to some extent) UK post-punk industrial scene, their new form of beauty shows in the Ed Burke in Trinity were quite ahead of their time. Friday's star has waned badly in recent years, occupying a faux-cabaret slot the jaques L does much better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Im not sure what to make of his choice of cover art for his album...

catholic_cover.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Im not sure what to make of his choice of cover art for his album...

catholic_cover.jpg

I know what I'd make of it: PRETENTIOUS TWADDLE. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

francois wrote: »
    their new form of beauty shows in the Ed Burke in Trinity were quite ahead of their time.
    Douglas Hyde?

Advertisement