Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 Cooking Club Week 18: Vietnamese Chicken & Mint Salad and Fish Curry

Options
  • 09-05-2011 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭

So, I have to start with a disclaimer. I've never made either of these dishes before, so apologies if they turn out to be less than delicious. I can only assume it'll have been something I did though, rather than the recipes themselves so ye should still be fine to go ahead and try them yourselves. Hopefully.

Also, both of these are yoinked from Nigella Lawson, so ye know who to thank/blame ;)

Anyway!

First up is a ridiculously simple but effective salad.

Vietnamese Chicken & Mint salad

Ingredients:

1 red chilli - seeded and minced
    1 or 2 cloves of garlic - minced
    1 tablespoon of sugar
    1.5 teaspoons of rice vinegar
    1.5 tablespoons of lime juice
    1.5 tablespoons of Vietnamese or Thai fish sauce (I used Thai fish sauce, so technically this is Thai chicken & mint salad I guess..)
    1.5 tablespoons of vegetable oil
    Half a medium onion - finely sliced
    Black pepper
    200g of white cabbage
    1 medium carrot - grated, julienned or shredded
    200g of cooked chicken breast - shredded
    40g bunch of fresh mint - stemmed weight (I used only 20g as I didn't want it too minty - turned out just right for me)

Method:

Combine the chilli, garlic, vinegar, lime juice, onion, oil, fish sauce and black pepper and sugar in a bowl and leave to sit for 30 minutes.

013-1.jpg

In a big bowl or plate, mix the cabbage, carrot, chicken and mint.

014.jpg

Then pour over the dressing and mix together and voila! Done!

015-1.jpg

I really quite liked this. Lovely summer lunch.

Fish Curry

Ingredients:

1.25kg of firm white fish
    Salt
    2 teaspoons of turmeric
    1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
    2 medium onions - finely sliced
    2 long red chillis - finely sliced (and de-seeded if you don't want it too hot)
    4cm piece of fresh ginger - sliced into matchstick sized pieces
    Pinch of ground cumin
    1 x 400ml can of coconut milk
    1-2 tablespoons of concentrated tamarind paste
    1 tablespoon of liquid fish stock

Method:

Cut the fish into bitesized chunks, rub with salt and 1 teaspoon of turmeric.

Heat the oil in a pan and on a medium heat add the onions, with a pinch of salt to stop them from browning. Cook for a few minutes until soft. Add the chillis and cook for a further couple of minutes, then add the ginger and the second teaspoon of turmeric and the pinch of cumin and fry for another 2 minutes or so.

016.jpg

Pour the tin of coconut milk into a measuring jug, add a tablespoon of tamarind paste and the fish stock and top up with hot water to bring up to the litre mark. Add this to the pan. Taste, and add more tamarind paste if necessary.

017.jpg

When you're ready to serve, add the fish to the sauce and heat until it's cooked but still tender.

Now. I have to admit that this didn't work out for me. It was too sharp, and the balance of flavours was all off. However, the Tamarind paste I got was in fact Tamarind purée and I'm not sure if they're the same or not (as in, the purée might not have been concentrated Tamarind..) so that could be one reason. Another reason might be that I left out the fish stock because I couldn't find any. I didn't think the small amount would make much difference, but it's possible it could have balanced the acidity a bit. Or it might just be that I don't like Tamarind paste.

I'm sure it doesn't matter much which curry paste you use, so if in doubt, use one you know you like.

I knew it was a gamble to make something I hadn't made before, but (aside from it being last-minute) I kind of wanted to challenge myself as well and have a bit of fun with it and make something I don't normally make.

In any case, I hope that if you try the fish curry recipe, that it works well and is yummy :) I do know that if you try the chicken and mint salad it will work well and be yummy! :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've everything at home for making this at the weekend apart from the concentrated tamarind paste. Is there anything that I could substitute for this as I won't have a chance to get some?

Thanks - great recipies!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I'd imagine any other concentrated curry paste would do the job just the same, Hill Billy. The Tamarind paste has a very distinct tangy flavour, and is probably quite an acquired taste (which might be part of the reason I didn't like it!) so I might give it a go with Thai red curry paste or similar and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thanks WN. I've used it before, but it is not a store cupboard staple of mine. Will give the red thai curry paste a shot (more to my taste actually :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

We ad the first part of this tonight, WesternNight. You're right, it's a lovely salad: zesty, crunchy and bright colours!

picture.php?albumid=1732&pictureid=10059

I myself would put less mint in it. In fact, a single shredded sprig would suffice for my tastes. Mrs. Alex, on the other and, absolutely loved it and I now have to make up another batch... :( :pac:

---

I'll be making the curry aswell soon. Did you try making it again yourself? It sounds like it would be lovely so I'm not sure... maybe you put in too much tamarind. I have a tub of it here, but haven't used it yet. It has a very tangy taste so you would need to use it sparingly!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

We ad the first part of this tonight, WesternNight. You're rigt, it's a lovely salad: zesty, crunchy and bright colours!

I myself would put less mint in it. In fact, a single shredded sprig would suffice for my tastes. Mrs. Alex, on the other and, absolutely loved it and I now have to make up another batch... :( :pac:

Yeah, 40g of mint I think would be excessive. I only put half that in and it was still very minty, but I found it made it really refreshing. I'm sure it would be just as nice without any mint at all though.

I'll be making the curry again soon. Did you try making it again yourself? It sounds like it would be lovely so I'm not sure... maybe you put in too much tamarind. I have a tub of it here, but haven't used it yet. It has a very tangy taste so you would need to use it sparingly!

I haven't tried making it again, actually. I keep meaning to but I never have all of the ingredients in the house at the same time! If I do make it it'll be without any tamarind at all though. Will probably use Thai red curry paste. Might try it during the week, I'll let you know how I get on.

I'll post the recipe here if it goes well...to make up for the shambles of the original attempt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

You should give it another try with the tamarind.

We just had this now and thought it was great!

picture.php?albumid=1732&pictureid=10147

I made up some shredded and deep-fried cabbage to sprinkle on top.

You can see the brand of tamarind that I used in the photo.

I left the fish stock out, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I made the salad today, I added an extra chilli for bit more of a kick. Its a very zingy fresh tasting salad. What a great way to use left over chicken
    Thanks WesternNight

33faof6.jpg

Advertisement