Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

copyright up for review.

Options
  • 09-05-2011 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭

Via Silicon Republic

Dept of Ent, Trade and Innovation Consultation on the Review of the Copyright and Related Rights Act 2000

It appears the debacle over the music industrys efforts (as I understand it) with eircom, upc, etc... is probably being given formal 'space' for a review and any resulting changes which *may* be required noting that copyright's parent appears to be from the EU (reading between the lines of the linked articles).

I guess what might be worrying from the perspective of creative types is if the government were to bring forward a legislative framework which wouldn't observe or would dilute the fundamental rights which an individual (photographer, musician, videographer, artist, creative types, etc...) has to owning what they produce. Perhaps unlikely to happen but then again it might be worthwhile everyone interested in this making their voice heard that "I am a photographer, and I own what I produce".

It might also be useful to recount to the review process where there have been copyright infringements on your work in this digital space to enable them to get an understanding of the current issues that are out there.

Anyway, submissions are invited if anyone wants to have a go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

definately worth drafting something up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

It's a response to the direct call by the judge in EMI v UPC judgement to bring in a legislative framework which would allow the courts to act in the interests of copyright holders (or at least, the record company in this case) so i'd say if anything it'll strenghten copyright, particularly when it comes to digital theft - there'll probably no longer be a 'mere conduit' defence for example. No harm drawing up something though! I did hear there were changes afoot for orphaned works and how they're understood. That could be an issue..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there have been calls to strengthen the rights of performers too - most notably by cliff richard, who didn't write a lot of the stuff he wrote. so a lot of music he makes a living from will fall out of copyright, potentially in his own lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Performance has its own copyright seperate from authorship. Lasts 50 yrs (afair) from the date of the performance. So really it's cliff's own fault for living so long :P he wouldn't be getting royalties from that copyright anyway. And rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jaybeeveedub

there have been calls to strengthen the rights of performers too - most notably by cliff richard, who didn't write a lot of the stuff he wrote. so a lot of music he makes a living from will fall out of copyright, potentially in his own lifetime.

I knew he was good, but to able to not write something that he wrote! Now that's a good trick.... !!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

facepalm.

Advertisement