Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

longford's good qualities

Options
  • 09-05-2011 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

it seems to me longford has lots of prospects for the future, the county has allot good things going for it , there seems to be many opportunities to further inhance the town for example regeneration of st michaels rd, the new bypass, the newly opened up royal canal, and the gaa centre of excellence which was refused planning unfortunatley but is being revised, also there is the now vacant connolly barracks and the recently built longford town shopping centre, if only the local council would get working and rolling out some initiative to get the ball moving regarding a tenant in the shopping centre or opening it up as a car park which they discussed a year ago or start on the reconstruction and development of the vacant barracks instead of holding another meeting, good to see longford people coming together to get business forum up and running which is a great initiative which no doubt will benefit the town shortly with jobs which is badly needed, also GAA team on the up, future looks bright for Longford to me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ArdRi79

I moved down from Dublin about a year ago and Im a serious home body but Ive gotten to like Longford town. It has some properly beautifull area's - you wouldnt get the mall walk in Dublin and if you did youd pay an absolute fortune to live near it and the most important thing of all - the people here are great - thats something that recession cant touch and its what will bring the town out of the recession.

Im not saying the bogeys here dont stand out on a class of their own but Id say that is because by and large the town attracts the soundest most down to earth people to it. G'wan Longford!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Thing with the new shopping centre is there is nobody to go there. It looks good from the outside, but I have no clue of the inside. There was supposed to be an M&S or something going in as the anchor store when it was being built, but that fell through. If they could get some shops in there, that'd be a grand number of jobs for the area.

I like the mall too, nearly always see people going on walks around it, plus the astroturf pitches they have in there are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

unfortunately the new centre is owned by NAMA or one of the banks, so it's not up to the council to decide who goes in.
    all the rumours were of M&S or superquinn, but really, the town doesn't need another supermarket.
    it'd make a great indoor hurling venue!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

unfortunately the new centre is owned by NAMA or one of the banks, so it's not up to the council to decide who goes in.
    all the rumours were of M&S or superquinn, but really, the town doesn't need another supermarket.
    it'd make a great indoor hurling venue!

Always thought the riverside promenade there would've been great for a café/bar. Nice setting for relaxing with a drink on a summer's evening. I think you're right about the supermarket, though... there's enough in the town already.

I wonder if NAMA (or the banks) could reach an agreement with the council to at least open the car-park for use? At least then it would be generating some revenue...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Have started using the Leisure Centre recently, close to the town and as mentioned by others The Mall walk, along with the kids playground and astro-turf, are great facilities to have so close to the town.
    Like all the new signs at the roundabouts in Longford and Edgeworthstown, and they've done a great job tidying them up with plants and shrubs, looks really well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭baldbear

Is it my imagination or is there a fair few junkis roaming the place? They remind of the ones i used to meet up in Dublin. Tracksuits and pale zombie dying look about them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Deregos

baldbear wrote: »
    Is it my imagination or is there a fair few junkis roaming the place? They remind of the ones i used to meet up in Dublin. Tracksuits and pale zombie dying look about them....

Yes matey . .sad but true . .I'm observing & meeting them everyday on the street here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

baldbear wrote: »

This town is full of junkies and so many heroin dealers to go with them. And not all of them scumbags either. People I've gone to school with are now regular users of brown. You can even get a €10 bag delivered to your door.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

on a lighter note, Barack Obama was given a book of stories written by Pauric Colum today. the last time Pauric Colum made the news was when a house was burnt out in Pauric Colum heights!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭baldbear

on a lighter note, Barack Obama was given a book of stories written by Pauric Colum today. the last time Pauric Colum made the news was when a house was burnt out in Pauric Colum heights!

Yeah i saw that. I'd say his book sales will surge now. Are any of the roundabouts in Longford called after Padraig Colum???Surely there is? I saw Leo Casey's name...

What are the other roundabouts called?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

I noticed recently that they started naming the roundabouts. I think the one at glennons mill is called Pauric Colum.
    Regarding heroin in the town, it's the depressing the number of people you hear of using it. If it takes hold, it will destroy a small town like Longford.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Just wanna say, I had one of the best nights of my life in Longford recently.

The people there were brilliant.

Beautiful !

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sammy007

yeah my time in Longford I always had a fun night out great place for meetin people and having a bit of banter and fun, thats sad to hear about some people drugged up in the town centre but sure you get abit of that in every town,
    would be great to see the royal canal linked up with the town centre as proposed would be a great visual amenity to the town and possibly bring some tourism in hopefully they keep on top of this and not place it on the do to/maybe file, i cant see why the havent opened up the car park in the new town centre possibly securitiy reasons but hopefully it will happen as from my time there parking was always a nightmare in the town,
    i noticed in athlone the proposed new chinese business hub hopefully that gets the go ahead no doubt would be some spin off business and employment opportunities for longford, i seen the decision date is 14/7/2011 which is fast compared to longford which seems to take a year for decisions to come through, does anyone know any more with regard to the connolly barracks development or the GAA centre of excellence centre or of any new developments in longford area,

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭UrbanMonkey

Now this is more like it! Finally there are good reviews coming in about Longford. I love Longford. And there really is some beautiful parts of town.

About the shopping centre...what supposedly happened was that the people building it didn't make a unit big enough for the anchor. They made big units and small units ofcourse, but there is supposed to be one unit bigger than all the rest and that is the anchor unit and they didn't make it. So, M&S refused to go in.

And the Junkies...you get that in every big town.

Advertisement