Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DLNA - why an internet connection needed to router ?

Options
  • 09-05-2011 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi,

I have recently discovered the joys of DNLA between my Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc and Sony TV - really impressed !
    One thing i am a bit confused on is why i need an internet connection to my router to use DLNA (perhaps a very stupid question !). I ask as i was planning on getting rid of my landline (phone and internet access) and reverting to mobile only for calls and a dongle for the laptop for wireless bb..... i would hate to lose DLNA use though from my phone.

Incidentally, i am using iMediaShare on my phone and can't view videos (pictures and music no problems) ... any obvious reason spring to mind ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

blast06 wrote: »
    One thing i am a bit confused on is why i need an internet connection to my router to use DLNA (perhaps a very stupid question !).

What make and model is the router? And, what device are you using as the DLNA server?

I have a DLNA network set up between NAS, ps3, TV etc and it is independent of my router. I.e. the NAS advertises itself as a DLNA server, and the clients pick it up on the (internal) network and connect to it.

Similarly, if I run PS3 media server on the laptop, all the clients register it as a new server. I also have a server on my phone which is handy if you want to stream photos to the TV.

Advertisement