Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into Motorbike Racing

Options
  • 08-05-2011 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I am looking for a motorbike around 250 or so to start doing track days and maybe if i am any good or really love it a few races. Kawasaki Ninja 250R is the only sports bike i can find but i don't necessarily want a bike for the road.

Also what is the deal with track days, licences, insurance and all that malark?

Thanks any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭gardoyle27

i suppose the best thing to do is to try and find a club near you, once you join them they will be able to sort you out with your racing license and insurance. as for a bike, i suggest hitting adverts.ie or donedeal.ie and search, you'll find something,

• Registered Users Posts: 45 muller25

sounds good. what do you think I should start looking at, bike wise I was thinking of two options get a 250 and go in head first but still slowly or get something bigger and go at a snail pase to insure I live through the experience

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭gardoyle27

haha, now thats down to you, i do enduro's and have a 250, because i have no real need for a 450, so it's kinda down to yer own tastes really, you could get a 250 and be bored fairly quick, or you could get something bigger and wreck yourself, personally i'd rather be bored and then move up than be in bits but thats just me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

The 400 class is a good class to start in, its not too fast. You wont go through that much in tyres. Best bet is to look in UK for a nice 400.

I wouldnt recommend the clubmans 600 unless you are quick, if you have your heart set on racing the big bikes, go into the 1000cc clubmans it will be a bit easier but you will have to spend alot of money on tyres.

Check out kirkistown trackdays, their fairly cheap compared to what you pay in mondello, better if you can share a van going up as its quiet a distance.

Regarding licences, you need to do a flag seminar which is free, a medical and then training day in mondello park. You then apply for a short circuit licence which is a B licence if i recall correctly. You will also need a transponder (timer) to race, their about €300.

Insurance, you dont have to have but combined insurance used to be the only ones who would touch motorbikes.

Check out mylaps.com and check laptimes for the supersport400 class. Then at track days time yourself to gauge how you are doing.

Best of luck with it, you will have a ball.

p.s join the Irish Sidecar and Motorcycle club, they where always the most organised when i raced.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 muller25

Thanks my heart is set on racing doesn't matter what cc really at the moment. I first want to get into the sport. If i get bored or feel that i am good enough to go bigger and faster it will happen over time. I am in no rush to get to the top or just started.

Thanks a million you gave me a direction to go in at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

muller25 wrote: »
    Thanks my heart is set on racing doesn't matter what cc really at the moment. I first want to get into the sport. If i get bored or feel that i am good enough to go bigger and faster it will happen over time. I am in no rush to get to the top or just started.

Thanks a million you gave me a direction to go in at least.

As above, SS400 or else pre '97.

You'll have a ball

Advertisement