Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tropico 4

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

OH
    EM
    JEE

this will be fantastic

tropico 3 is one of my most played games and I came late to that party. Excellent and stupidly addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

loved tropico 3 but my only gripes are that the way the difficulty increases , it sometimes feel like they are just putting a little bit more against you each time and your really just trying to survive and do a little , which is fine but i would like one or two perfect ideal condition maps where you are challenged to build somethin amazing.
    Anybody else have things they would like to see added?

i'd like the option to have way bigger islands, kinda like you said so you could see what you could build.. engineer the perfect island

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

Wow this looks class! I'd never even heard of tropico before...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

BULLER wrote: »
    Wow this looks class! I'd never even heard of tropico before...

Tropico 3 is one of most underrated strategy games of all time. Period. Such an amazing game

• Advertisement

yeah, it's so simple.. but so ****ing hard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

If you're quick Tropico 3 is currently €3.74 on steam.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

That looks brilliant.

grizzly wrote: »
    If you're quick Tropico 3 is currently €3.74 on steam.

I bought it the other day. Amazing game for that price!! Unbelieveable value really, nearly feel bad. I woulda paid 20 or 30 for a game of this quality.

It reminds me of a mix between Theme Park, SimCity and Age of Empires 1.

I bought Tropico 3 on the basis of this thread and I am enjoying it. It has payed back the few euro it cost many times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

i bought the absolute power add on recently and i do hope they adjust the gameplay a bit , some of the harder missions unless you pick exactly the right way to go from the very start they are impossible to finish so you end up starting the whole mission again , thats not good gameplay imo .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I love these types of games :) playing tropico 3 atm

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

:P

Love the music on it.

Just want to say I'm definitely picking this up. One of my most wanted this year.

Whats confirmed thus far

1. Stock Exchange
    2. Shopping Mall
    3. Aqua Park
    4. Mausoleum
    5. Chemical Factory/Plant
    6. Roller Coaster
    7. Fire Station
    8. Horticulture Station
    9. Ministry*
    10. Salt Mine
    11. Space/Cosmic Needle
    12. Plantation
    13. Museum of Modern Art
    14. Zeppelin Hangar
    15. Nuclear Power Plant
    16. Customs Office
    17. Cocktail Bar
    18. Science Academy
    19. Weather Statin
    20. Cruise Liner
    And Facebook integration will have the ability to upload comments and photos, whilst Twitter will have the ability to tweet crap ingame. Also also, there will be a level editor, and of course a brand new sexy soundtrack :D

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1423125

how to unpack the music from the files in your steam install (if you got it on steam). i'd imagine it's the same for no steam versions, just a different folder.

partial track list

Nothing for Tracks 1,3 and 6

Track 2 = Acere - Conjunto Acere

Track 4 = Cuba Te Llama - Mamborama

Track 5 = Asi! Vamos! - Alex Torres & His Latin Orchestra

Track 6 = Que Rica Que Buena - Rey Crespo

Track 7 = Viernes - Alex Torres & His Latin Orchestra

Track 8 = Verde y Maduro - Alex Torres & His Latin Orchestra

Track 9 = La Gran Juma - Alex Torres & His Latin Orchestra

Track 10 = Para Ponertelo - Alex Torres & His Latin Orchestra

Track 11 = La Ropa Esta El Baul - Alex Torres & His Latin Orchestra

Track 12 = Gallina Vieja - Alex Torres & His Latin Orchestra

Track 13 = Locamente Enamorado - Alex Torres & His Latin Orchestra

Track 14 = Con Nuestros Amigos - Alex Torres & His Latin Orchestra

Track 15 = La Gata Loca - Mamborama

Damn you! This is gonna tease me until I get home from work :(

Wow! Unexpected suprise! Downloading... :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Yay demo

I only got to play through the first tutorial last night. Can't see many differences to the last games, you now have to hire minsters (all with their own stats – intelligence, courage, leadership) without these you can't access various linked edicts. There's a quick build option for buildings at double the cost. The interface is paired down. There's also disasters which I didn't get to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Anyone else shocked by how similar to Tropico 3 this is, based on the demo? I never played Tropico 1, and I hear Tropico 3 was very similar, but I was amazed by the wholesale reuse of assets in this demo - could spot very little difference at all, certainly not worth a full price purchase or its status as a full sequel IMO.

with a game like this, it's the small details that will change the course of a session.. all those new buildings, new disasters.. regulating imports as well as exports, the new world powers.. even if the core game hasn't changed it's that series of small little nudges here and there that will drastically change the experience over time.. imo at least :)

with a game like this, it's the small details that will change the course of a session.. all those new buildings, new disasters.. regulating imports as well as exports, the new world powers.. even if the core game hasn't changed it's that series of small little nudges here and there that will drastically change the experience over time.. imo at least :)

I agree, as the look of the game tends towards a stylised representation of the world I'm happy they've reused art as the design works well. No point putting on a new coat of paint when the old ones fine. Hopefully they have invested most of the development time in getting balance right with all the new buildings/features.

So whats it like?

not out till the 26th, or 1st of sept on steam

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭VALIS

i bought the absolute power add on recently and i do hope they adjust the gameplay a bit , some of the harder missions unless you pick exactly the right way to go from the very start they are impossible to finish so you end up starting the whole mission again , thats not good gameplay imo .

Yes, there are a few frustrating instances of having the actual level objective dropped on you with little time left only to discover you are in no way prepared to meet that objective!

I played the Tropico 4 demo, the asset reuse is disappointing but I was impressed by the vibrant colours, natural disasters and island size as well as the fact that it appears to run better on my fairly basic laptop than Tropico 3. If it ain't broke!

I got Tropico Reloaded during the steam sale; now those levels will make you sweat!

So I picked up Tropico 4 last night. The demo seriously didn't put it in a good light for most people, the full game is fantastic. There was even a few extra features I wasn't even aware of.

Your Ministry does offshore dealings with other countries which can affect tourism, imports/exports and immigration. When I figured that out, suddenly there was a drought which lasted more than 2 years. There was a few fires that had to be put out, but the most interesting was that the crops dried out. I sent in some heli's to throw water over the area because otherwise the islands food production would not have been enough to cope with demand.

The Liner is pretty cool and earns you a small fortune. I had a volcano on the island, but nothing but a few shakes yet (my main town is sitting right under it :(). Had a tsunami late on in the game and it threw my oil tanker into the ground. I didn't remove it though, I think it looks good and I've made it a tourist attraction for the laugh. The weather station is handy in the fact it can predict disasters, as well as 'lie' about the weather and attract/deter tourists and immigration.

I've been fiddling around with the Facebook integration and so far its been failing to upload any pictures to my account, not that I care that much anyway.

Graphics wise when everything had been built up, it ran as smooth as butter. About 100-150fps in extremely detailed built up areas, its far more optimized than T3. The colour varation is great too.

I'm doing a youtube review later today, but to sum it up; what I thought would be only Tropcio 3.5, now deserves its sequel status. Great game.

awesome, gona have to wait until next month to buy it probably but i'm looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Eurogamer review seems to sum up my impressions from the demo:
    It's hard to blame developer Haemimont Games for sticking with what works, but at the same time it's quite galling just how little has been changed in the two-ish years since the last instalment. This is, to all intents and purposes, the exact same game. There are a few new wrinkles in the old cloth, but none of the changes or additions go deeper than surface detail.

• Advertisement

Branoic wrote: »
    Eurogamer review seems to sum up my impressions from the demo:

Thing is from the demo is that the new aspects in T4 can't be played at all. There's some interesting new features and the level editor is awesome, I can envisage some very beautiful things.

The custom challenge maker that comes along with it is very powerful too, with the ability to create and time scripts. Basically you could make the game as hard as nails or easy as pie. You can also upload/download challenges so basically the gameplay is almost endlessly extended.

I really don't know why this part wasn't forwarded more, as its probably the best new feature in Tropico 4 (T3 had it but it was extremely buggy and basically an alpha build)

Advertisement