Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANK HOLIDAYS NOT PAID

Options
  • 08-05-2011 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi

I have been working for last three years for small company as part timer ( 24 hours a week ). When I started there I boss told me that as part time worker I will not get paid for public holidays.

I spoke to my employer and submitted a payment claim for my public holidays for last three years. Then he handed this letter to me:

“ (I )… has submitted a claim for payment of his entitlement for public bank holidays covering his term of employment from the date of commencement in May 2008 to date… ( three years)
    On consulting the legislation it appears that he is entitled to claim one fifth (20%) of his weekly wage in respect of every public holiday during the year…
    The company has been making substantial losses in recent years and is not in cash flow position to pay the arrears immediately. It is proposed to pay the arrears over a period of time up to 31st December 2011
    It is noted that ( I ) was originally employed to operate crystal engraving machine.
    The demand for this service now is only sporadic and does not justify employment of 24 hours a week. “

My employer forget to add that I was employed to operate other machines and worked as general IT for company, and that during time of employment he submitted me other duties too.

No one else in my company got a letter like I did. I believe that I was the only one because I have asked for my bank holidays to be paid. Other employees get paid for bank holidays and I am the only one who doesn’t.

What should I do? Obviously I would like to get my money as soon as possible. Is it legal that he will give me money back over next few months?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think the company would have a case that the cost would be hard to meet and a court may see the companies admittance of liability enough. 7 months is alot of time for 24 x 6 hrs pay, but still I think its fairly reasonable.

Is the second part of the letter saying that there is a threat of redundancy?

Advertisement