Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice- Tent and Going West

Options
  • 08-05-2011 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭

Hi all can anyone recommend a decent tent 2 adults 2 kids (12&14)I know Halfords have a sale on but still don't know what the best deal is. Will carry tent in car got sleeping bags but that's about it so anything else we will need,probably won't be cooking much.

We're planning an itinerary considering on going out to West Cork,the West, Donegal for about 14 days in the summer on official campsites so any recommendations appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

pavb2 wrote: »
    Hi all can anyone recommend a decent tent 2 adults 2 kids (12&14)I know Halfords have a sale on but still don't know what the best deal is. Will carry tent in car got sleeping bags but that's about it so anything else we will need,probably won't be cooking much.

We're planning an itinerary considering on going out to West Cork,the West, Donegal for about 14 days in the summer on official campsites so any recommendations appreciated.

Well, you know, when you're in a campsite and with a car, you can pretty much pick up any tent. All you want is enough space to take the family comfortably if it's lashing outside and a hydrostatic head of at least 2000mm. Most tents will be fine and there's no need to go nuts spending money on it.

One piece of advice that will prevent many a cold night is to pick up either kipmats or air matresses. Sleeping bags don't provide any insulation from the cold ground beneath and it really pays to have a mat to keep you warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Any tents in the vango range would suit perfect.

This for example

http://www.53degreesnorth.ie/product.php?productid=6069&cat=638&page=2

I would suggest staying in Achill for night or two. Beach is great and you can rent surfboards right beside the campsite.

http://www.achillcamping.com/

Hope it works out for you. With good weather, camping in the west of Ireland is the best place in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Donny5 wrote: »
    Well, you know, when you're in a campsite and with a car, you can pretty much pick up any tent. All you want is enough space to take the family comfortably if it's lashing outside and a hydrostatic head of at least 2000mm. Most tents will be fine and there's no need to go nuts spending money on it.

One piece of advice that will prevent many a cold night is to pick up either kipmats or air matresses. Sleeping bags don't provide any insulation from the cold ground beneath and it really pays to have a mat to keep you warm.
    i definately second the air matresses, they are comfortable and keep you off stoney ground, or damp ground, also i always carry bed socks and a fine thick dressing gown, you will sleep like a bug in a rug with that outfit and a duvet over you, also get those cheap little torches, light will be important, take those moist wipes also, also under the whole tent and groundsheet i always put one of those canvas or tarep squares but do not leave it stretch outside sides of tent, you need the water to run off onto ground, also when we got our tent, the pegs were useless, they were thin and spindly, would not hold much, you can buy the thicker longer stronger ones that have a better head to tie the cords to incase there is a bit of wind, you would get a pack of six or eight for under a tenner, but they would be a great purchase, our tent is fine and large with plenty headroom and a fine sleeping area, but these ground pins that come with them were useless

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

check out www.jackson-sports.com

they have some good deals on vango tents at the moment and cheap / free delivery to ireland.

this is a great tent for the money

http://www.jackson-sports.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=6462

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭pavb2

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3401864.htm

What do people think of this.Good price It's about the right size but too flimsy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Livee

You should also check out a little camp site called Battlebridge very near Leitrim village - perhaps a stop off on your route back.

It's got a lovely pub (serving food), it's on the Shannon and there are lovely walks etc. We've stayed there a few times and can recommend it

Livee wrote: »
    You should also check out a little camp site called Battlebridge very near Leitrim village - perhaps a stop off on your route back.

It's got a lovely pub (serving food), it's on the Shannon and there are lovely walks etc. We've stayed there a few times and can recommend it
    Good call I always thought Leitrim was a very scenic county but aside from the Shannon rarely received much publicity for this in comparison to Galway,Kerry etc.

Another hidden gem I think is the Glen of Aherlow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Livee wrote: »

does it have good facilities, eg, toilets, hot showers, drinking water, are there restaurants nearby, i would be interested in camping this year, and would love to find a campsite with all the facilities, nicely laid out, near restaurants and public houses where there would be a bit of traditional or country music,

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭acorn

http://www.oconnorsdoolin.com/riverside_camping.htm

has everything on your list ....and more

Thanks for replies looking at maybe doing a few music workshops in Achill & Drumshanbo Co Leitrim so would appreciate any more recommendations for good campsites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

I would get a tent that has a groundsheet attached, we got one in halfords last year, a six person one but the groundsheet was not attached, it was very draughty, air came in from around the inner bedroom compartments and into the main area.

I'm currently looking for a new one!

There is a great campsite at Lough-key forest park just outside Boyle.. the forest park has a few good playgrounds for the kids .. plus there is a new zip-wire course www.zipit.ie which looks brilliant.

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Don't forget the insect repellent! :D

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement