Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmaceutical companies and cannabis law.

Options
  • 08-05-2011 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

I've started this thread because i feel there is a link to cannabis not being legalized in any country in the world (it's not legal in holland it's just not illegal) what gave me this idea was an interview with Obama that i saw in which he was talking with a member of LEAP (law enforcement against prohibition) the member of LEAP made his case as to why cannabis should be legal, and it was a bloody good argument, Obama didn't have a clue what to say and basically bull****ted for 5 minutes, the reasons Obama gave were thought up on the spot and is not why cannabis is not being legalized, he was talking about protecting youth etc and with the current alcohol problems why do they need to add to it, if i remember correctly i think he may have thrown the gateway drug idea out there too, everyone knew these reasons were bull**** and university students who were under the impression that he wasn't against cannabis when they voted for him were not impressed.

This got me thinking, these obviously were not the real reasons and i recently read up on some of the medical properties of cannabis and thats when it hit me, cannabis can be of benefit to virtually all illnesses, asthma included (read up on it if you don't believe me) cannabis can be used for any illness that causes discomfort, nausea, bladder issues, insomnia, pain (except for gum pain) some cases of anxiety (cannabis doesn't always produce paranoia and almost never with experienced users, if it does a different strain can be used, there are 100s of different strains so you'll find one that suits you well) depression, i can't think of any illness that cannabis doesn't benefit bar gingivitis which i stated above, now think of all the medications that are prescribed for these types of ailments and it can also be used to deal with the side effects from medications, there are many medications that are prescribed purely to reduce the side effects of other medications and especially among elderly people, some are on dozens of different medications a day which don't even do much for their conditions the majority of the time, many of these could be replaced by cannabis, think of how much the pharmaceutical companies would lose if it became legal?

Even if pharmaceutical companies began growing cannabis for medical purposes they would still make a huge loss as not much cannabis would need to be taken, an oz of cannabis is worth about 150-200 euro and would probably go for less if it became legal since it's so easy to grow and would be extremely easy to mass produce in warehouses (sells for more on the street but that's a ripoff).

I've heard from a member of fine gael that about 60% of their funds come from corporate donations, theres a good chance that a portion of this money is coming from a pharmaceutical companies which is why i've come to the conclusion that cannabis will probably never be legal here and it's doubtful that it will become legal anywhere else as i would say their political parties would probably also receive some donations from these companies.

Many medical organisations have stated that they have been unable to attain any evidence that cannabis causes any problems other than a dry mouth (stated in the washington medical journal) and politician's advisors around the world have recommended that cannabis be legalized (nixon's advisor is one that comes to mind and that was when people thought it made you go insane!)

What are your thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

Now that you mention it.. have a watch of this.

Cork 7/5/2011

Lets keep fluttering this about until people really take it seriously. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I'm not sure how big the role pharma companies have to play in these laws is, but I do think the prohibition is a bit ridiculous. I'm not a smoker, but there's no reason to keep it illegal that can't be applied to alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

keep it illegal....

using the alchol based argument is stupid.... can say the same about coke .. well if alchol is ok so is coke....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

robtri wrote: »
    keep it illegal....

using the alchol based argument is stupid.... can say the same about coke .. well if alchol is ok so is coke....

Can you provide any logical argument for why it shouldn't be legalised other than 'because it's illegal"..?

As for the conspiracy.. I have little doubt that pharmaceutical companies strive to keep it illegal. They're already producing meds which contain the active ingredients.. stuff they can patent ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Shulgin wrote: »
    Now that you mention it.. have a watch of this.

Cork 7/5/2011

Lets keep fluttering this about until people really take it seriously. :D

Great video, hopefully it will be used medically for diseases like his and MS in the future in ireland.

• Advertisement

More video footage. Very interesting stuff. It's a pity this is being posted up in the CT forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I'd say the main reason for any government's reluctance to legislate in this area is a belief that it would electorally risky or unpopular, rather than pressure from the pharmaceutical companies.

There was a widespread belief that Proposition 19 in California would be passed last year but that was ultimately rejected by 54% of voters. And they had a lot of very senior political and public figures (although mostly retired) active in the "yes" campaign.

I've no doubt that it will ultimately be decriminalised here. No idea when though.

The Dutch government currently grants a permit for the production of medicinal cannabis to a company called Bedrocan:

http://www.bedrocan.nl/english/products/bedrocan.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Can you provide any logical argument for why it shouldn't be legalised other than 'because it's illegal"..?

As for the conspiracy.. I have little doubt that pharmaceutical companies strive to keep it illegal. They're already producing meds which contain the active ingredients.. stuff they can patent ;)

can you give a logical argument why it shouldnt be illegal...

I think the videos above make it pretty obvious as to why cannabis should be at least decriminalised. Do you understand what was said in those video clips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Would you accept any of them? =p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

I'd say the main reason for any government's reluctance to legislate in this area is a belief that it would electorally risky or unpopular, rather than pressure from the pharmaceutical companies.

There was a widespread belief that Proposition 19 in California would be passed last year but that was ultimately rejected by 54% of voters. And they had a lot of very senior political and public figures (although mostly retired) active in the "yes" campaign.

I've no doubt that it will ultimately be decriminalised here. No idea when though.

The Dutch government currently grants a permit for the production of medicinal cannabis to a company called Bedrocan:

http://www.bedrocan.nl/english/products/bedrocan.html

All one has to do is follow the money. The bogus war on drugs, despite being a spectacular failure, is a great earner for private contractors. All this taxpayer loot can be given to private contractors to train SWAT teams, supply them with all the latest and greatest gadgets and gizmos etc. Not to mention the millions in the prison system who are there because of non-violent drug offences, mostly cannibis. These prisons are being run by private contractors so they love when they are filled to the brim with guys. They don't care if the guy is a murderer or just a weed-head. It's more money for them.

There are only 2 reasons why dope is illegal. Either legalising it will lose someone money or lose someone votes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

It shouldn't but Ireland is at it's heart a deeply conservative nation.

Advertisement