Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate the race: Round 4 - Turkish Grand Prix

Options
  • 08-05-2011 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

Another exciting race with overtaking and lots of pitstops. Didn't hit the heights of China but another race that makes the processions of the past feel like a very distant memory. What did everyone think?

Rate the race 36 votes

0%
    0%
    13%
    vectratonedefGrim.keithohIron Hide 5 votes
    30%
    Slutmonkey57bsham69lord lucanCharlie-Bravodsmythyfrostie500KenHyvincenzolorenzofreestylaAutosportNorthern Monkey 11 votes
    22%
    [Deleted User]Beekaydor83Sparks43SheepsDougalZproulxLionbacker 8 votes
    16%
    LIGHTNINGEvilMonkeyGhost TrainmickdwRayMratedR 6 votes
    11%
    De HipsterrecyclebinottostreetMudSkipper 4 votes
    0%
    2%
    Cookie_Monster 1 vote
    2%
    Myrddin 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I gave it an 8,enjoyed it a lot.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Gave this a 5 as the DRS spoiled it by making overtaking too easy. The tyres were not much of a factor either.

Being a Mclaren fan the race result wasn't great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Good race but Id say they will alter the location of the DRS for next year. There really was no question of being stuck behind anyone and that takes away a dimension of the excitement and also means that teams didnt need to look so closely at strategy in relation to getting clear air after pit stops etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,033 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I'll go with a 6. DRS seemed okay to me, bit on the easy side but still had interesting racing around last few corners, think the tyres were more the factor for the some easy overtakes. Was disappointed with Mclarens being off the pace, with Schumachers clumsiness on first lap, with Vettels domination

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Very good start to the race - DRS zone was a little longer than needed resulting in easy overtaking although I loved seeing Schumacher get hung out to dry on so many occasions. Marked it down because 'Vet-tell' had it sown up very early - would have expected more from Button but obviously 4 stopping was better. 8 from me.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Very exciting race, Lots of overtaking but some of it was too easy with DRS, I hope the rest of the season is as good but someone needs to stop Vettel, although i was delighted to see Webber on the podium :) Mclaren need to step up their game, Mercedes were a surprise for me as Nico drove well, Michael just doesnt seem to have it him anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

Good race/ Plently of action so we can't complain. DRS zone was probably a bit too long, but that can be tweeked.

I just wish someone would catch Vettel. Plenty of racing going on, but it's all for 2nd/3rd/4th etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

as brundle eluded to, gone are the days you can watch the start, the pit stop windows, and the end and know the chances are you havent missed anything really.

Im torn, those days you could follow the races based on tyre performance and keep track of all the drivers that mattered and who was doing what when and when they were most likely to do the next part of the strategy and the relative performance improvements of teams from race to race, but not this season! its almost too successful :pac:

yesterday my head hurt from trying to figure out what was going on! I actually turned off for half of the race!, but that was probably a good thing!

probably just a matter of getting use to the new format, might even see kimi back at this rate :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Boring snorefest with lots of way to easy false overtaking due to DRS, started well but by 1/3 dist had settled down and was all but over: 3/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Boring snorefest with lots of way to easy false overtaking due to DRS, started well but by 1/3 dist had settled down and was all but over: 3/10

I thought I was the only person that finds the new format a bit boring. Too much easy overtaking, too many pitstops and strategies. It makes it very hard to follow the race and work out who is leading. Even Martin Brundle gets confused sometimes. Button v Hamilton could have been a great battle for the last few laps except that button just had to pull over and let Hamilton by because of the tires.

Making F1 more exciting was the right way to go, but it has gone too far, and turkey was the worst yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Loads of passing and some overtaking DRS ruined the race, one example, we were robed of an epic multi lap battle between Alonso and Webber at the end of the race.
    Webber in a faster car chasing down Alonso with the ability to defend is way more exciting than Webber in a faster car chasing down Alonso a sitting duck.

Why couldn't they have given the new tyres and kers a chance before bringing in DRS, :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

The race certainly had it's moments, though artificial. What really stood out was the start with some interesting battles & wheel to wheel racing (for a change), however the BBC commentry team of Brundle & Coultard REALLY have to get over their Schumacher bashing, it's old & very sour...suggesting that he was not used to racing due to the car in which he became WC placing him at the front of the grid was bitter & very sour grapes like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

De Hipster wrote: »
    The race certainly had it's moments, though artificial. What really stood out was the start with some interesting battles & wheel to wheel racing (for a change), however the BBC commentry team of Brundle & Coultard REALLY have to get over their Schumacher bashing, it's old & very sour...suggesting that he was not used to racing due to the car in which he became WC placing him at the front of the grid was bitter & very sour grapes like.

I dont think the BBC particularly bashes schumacher. The fact is that he is making a lot of racing mistakes - more than drivers with a fraction of his experience. I thought EI's comments about it being sad that Schumacher is a shadow of his former self, and drawing the comparison with other sporting champions who have fought on for too long, as being spot on. Schumacher said so this morning, acknowledged his mistakes, and said that he doesnt enjoy racing any more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

steve9859 wrote: »
    I dont think the BBC particularly bashes schumacher. The fact is that he is making a lot of racing mistakes - more than drivers with a fraction of his experience. I thought EI's comments about it being sad that Schumacher is a shadow of his former self, and drawing the comparison with other sporting champions who have fought on for too long, as being spot on. Schumacher said so this morning, acknowledged his mistakes, and said that he doesnt enjoy racing any more

DC & MB basically suggested he was never much of a driver from the outset...DC really has a bee in his bonnet about Schumacher & the commentry is weakened and childish as a result - granted Schumacher had a terrible weekend but hardly reason to writeoff his entire career.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The big problem is that the Mercedes is the four best car on the grid, dont care how good you are if your car isnt up to the task there isnt much you can do. All you can hope for is for an accident or a mix up that allows you to get a good result.

I've always wondered about this conudrum regarding Schumacher - Is he the 7 times world Champion because:

1. He is the Best driver in one of the best cars
    2. He is one of the best drivers with the BEST car.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I'm a huge schumacher fan but is starting to get a bit embarrassing for him.
    I don't know the reason, has the sport changes that much since his 3 year break?
    I initially thought it was just qualifying that was his problem as he drove some ok races and does seem to make good starts but the amount of times he has been overtaken recently is sad.
    It is like he doesnt want to fight (or the car has no fight in it)
    The resistance against petrov was just stupid , he should have given the place up and overtaken him again on the outside.
    I am not hugely techincal etc but maybe others on here can give their opinion.
    Is he just past it?
    Anyway there is more to F1 than schumi.
    I enjoyed the race and am enjoying the season in general.
    I am just worried that if vettel keeps going the way he is will people lose interest, season could be over half way through.
    In saying that he is a huge talent and seems to be a nice guy on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

astrofluff wrote: »
    I've always wondered about this conudrum regarding Schumacher - Is he the 7 times world Champion because:

1. He is the Best driver in one of the best cars
    2. He is one of the best drivers with the BEST car.

Best driver in one of the best car, but just as much the team behind him, Ross Brawn, Jean Todt, Rory Byrne, Aldo Costa and Chris Dyer to name but a few. Also had two excellent no2 drivers in Barrichello and Eddie Irvine.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

5 for me, plenty of action, but with the DRS allowing cars to sail past half way down the straight, well before hitting the braking zone and no defense available to guy in front did show off the artificial-ness of it all.

As for the tyres, expect a lot more of the covering off pitstops with the only excitement coming from failures during pitstops........ It'd be lot more interesting if the harder compound lasted longer than the soft, at least there'd be a proper trade off between strategies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Artificial chaos, I actually thought the race was rubbish. I'd no idea what was happening most of the time, the overtaking was false, & it was very difficult to follow.

DRS has to go, simplify the front wings to lessen the dirty air zone & drs isn't needed. Any overtaking is then done through skill, not the flick of a button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

EnterNow wrote: »
    Artificial chaos, I actually thought the race was rubbish. I'd no idea what was happening most of the time, the overtaking was false, & it was very difficult to follow.

DRS has to go, simplify the front wings to lessen the dirty air zone & drs isn't needed. Any overtaking is then done through skill, not the flick of a button.

I don't get this with the DRS or the race being hard to follow tbh. The vast majority of overtaking was down to fresh tyres rather than DRS. There was one time in particular Webber couldn't get past Rosberg and was bouncing off the limiter. Another time he breezed past because he had a far better run and Rosberg was struggling for traction onto the straight. It looked like the DRS helped big time when in fact it was because the car in front was very slow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement