Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Route for the Wicklow Way

Options
  • 08-05-2011 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey there,

me and my boyfriend wanna do the wicklow way in august this year. Plan is to go somewhere by bus and walk towards marlay park, dublin. 6-7 days walking would be awesome but since neither of us is irish and neither of us knows anyone who every did the wicklow way it's pretty hard to find a good route.
    What we are looking for is 5-7 hours walking per day, nice landscape and doing wild camping. one or two days walking through mountains might be hard but we guess it's totally worth it.

Do you have any recommendations for a starting point and stops in between? The only thing I'm dying to see is a waterfall (enniskerry maybe) since we don't have any (really cool ones) in germany...

Thanks for helping, really!!

Louphia

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Louphia wrote: »
    Hey there,

me and my boyfriend wanna do the wicklow way in august this year. Plan is to go somewhere by bus and walk towards marlay park, dublin. 6-7 days walking would be awesome but since neither of us is irish and neither of us knows anyone who every did the wicklow way it's pretty hard to find a good route.
    What we are looking for is 5-7 hours walking per day, nice landscape and doing wild camping. one or two days walking through mountains might be hard but we guess it's totally worth it.

Do you have any recommendations for a starting point and stops in between? The only thing I'm dying to see is a waterfall (enniskerry maybe) since we don't have any (really cool ones) in germany...

Louphia

6 hours a day for 6 days is enough to do the whole route from Dublin to the end in Clonegal. It's all just one long signposted trail, so you can only do parts of it if you'd prefer. Personally, I think the Northern half from Dublin to Glenmalure is much nicer than the Southern half. It also passes Powerscourt waterfall in Enniskerry, and passes close to the Glenmacnass Waterfall, too.

Most of the route goes through mountains, but they're Irish mountains so nothing too imposing. The scenery is beautiful, but you might find it difficult to find wild camping spots along sections of the route. There are youth hostels and two open-sided huts you could stay in a long the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Another good resource is the following - http://www.wicklowway.com

I'd also recommend a short detour at the watergates (heading east along the river) that brings you near to top of the waterfall and gives great views out over the valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

This Book has everything you'll need to know about the wicklow way and the maps needed too!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

keenan110 wrote: »
    This Book has everything you'll need to know about the wicklow way and the maps needed too!:)

I haven't seen that one, but the Rucsac Readers books are generally great quality. For the Wicklow Way, there's also EastWest's booklet, which also has trail maps. I'm not a big fan of the extreme vulnerability of the EastWest maps, but the booklet replaces three full OS maps over the course of the Way and the cartography is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Daithi2004

I walked from Marley Park to Glenmalure. I didn't bother doing the rest of it as it is mostly on roads. I enjoyed it. I stayed in hostels but you might get one or two nights wild camping. One such place is near Knockree Youth Hostel but unfortunately other campers have left their rubbish lying around. Here is my facebook photos of my adventures. I stayed in the following Hostels, Knockree Hostel, Shylark Hostel, Gledalough Hostel and I stayed in Glemalure Lodge on the last night. The hostels cost €25 and the B & B cost €40. Enjoy

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1580708723801.175453.1418184241&l=b682ec6932

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Louphia wrote: »
    Hey there,

Louphia
    hi i live in wickow and often mountain bike the way.let me know when ye are coming and wel meet up if you like

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Daithi2004 wrote: »
    I walked from Marley Park to Glenmalure. I didn't bother doing the rest of it as it is mostly on roads. I enjoyed it. I stayed in hostels but you might get one or two nights wild camping. One such place is near Knockree Youth Hostel but unfortunately other campers have left their rubbish lying around. Here is my facebook photos of my adventures. I stayed in the following Hostels, Knockree Hostel, Shylark Hostel, Gledalough Hostel and I stayed in Glemalure Lodge on the last night. The hostels cost €25 and the B & B cost €40. Enjoy

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1580708723801.175453.1418184241&l=b682ec6932

A great photo log, thanks for posting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Magic Star

Just to let everyone know . . . . . Camping anywhere near Knockree is not allowed. The land all along the river is privately owned and it is now patrolled by the owners with security guards.

Unfortunately, because there were so many people just thrashing the place they have hadto stop all camping in the area. They have the support of the guards and its just not worth the hassle to even try and camp anywhere near there any more.

Ruined for all by a just few dirty gits.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Daithi2004

This is what Magic Star is talking about. It is a real shame that we, who do look after the enviornment, lose out.... It is a lovely campsite spot.

45935_1580725484220_1418184241_2835495_6691244_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Magic Star wrote: »
    Just to let everyone know . . . . . Camping anywhere near Knockree is not allowed. The land all along the river is privately owned and it is now patrolled by the owners with security guards.

Unfortunately, because there were so many people just thrashing the place they have hadto stop all camping in the area. They have the support of the guards and its just not worth the hassle to even try and camp anywhere near there any more.

Ruined for all by a just few dirty gits.

think we know now, thats three acient threads you have draggged up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Magic Star

Thanks Daithi,

Thats exactly what I was talking about - in the last year though - the place is clean and tidy - making it a gorgeous spot to pass through or spend the day.

Advertisement