Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 530d won't start

Options
  • 08-05-2011 9:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi.

I have a 2000 530d. Last night I drove home fine, but this morning it won't start.

I turn the ignition and heat the coil ok but when I turn the key to get the starter motor, nothing happens. There are no warning lights on the dash, but when I do turn the key the standard ones that are always there when I start the car will flicker. When I release and try again the position will be blocked and will not let me turn it forward, as if a pin has been inserted into the ignition barrel. All I can do is take it out and start the whole process again.

All the other electrics are working fine, i.e. radio, heater, lights, etc.

All help appreciated

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Is it a flat battery caused by a faulty hedgehog/fsr. Might be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'd also point the finger firstly at the battery. Starting a car requires a lot of power, the radio and the heater don't. The battery probably has the capacity to power these devices, but not the cranking power to turn the engine over.

Try jump starting it, then come back and update us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

the bit about the key not turning again is a design feature, its to stop the starter being engaged again while the engine is already running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mogsey

Thanks for the advice. Jumping did the trick. Fingers crossed it'll be alright tomorrow morning:confused:

Advertisement