Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing of days off by my employer

Options
  • 07-05-2011 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

i was informed via text message today from the assistant manager where i work today that im required to work in belfast (i usually work in kildare)on monday or ill loose my job

i was due to be off today tomorrow and monday

i rang the assistant manager and he informed me that he was simply passing on the message from the regional manager

i have always accomodated when asked to travel to belfast as it is part of the job description but i feel they cant make me work on my day off let alone threathen to sack me for it

any ideas folks im not sure what my rights are

i have no formal contract but have been with the company 3 years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If you've no formal contract there's nothing to solidly say you're an employee rather than simply working for the company on a freelance basis. In which case, your employment rights aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Do the job, we all have to work at short notice and it's a pain in the hole but better than being penniless.

Very bad form on the part of the employer to threaten you with the sack though, I can't see why any decent employer would do that unless you've been unreliable in the past or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

It is the employer who has final say on when you get time off.
    I hope your travel costs to Belfast are paid and that the travel time counts as hours worked..........?

Although you are obviously inconvenienced by the change of plans, it would seem advisable to fit in with the employer's request, which is presumably made out of job needs.........

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

sdonn wrote: »
    If you've no formal contract there's nothing to solidly say you're an employee rather than simply working for the company on a freelance basis. In which case, your employment rights aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Do the job, we all have to work at short notice and it's a pain in the hole but better than being penniless.

Very bad form on the part of the employer to threaten you with the sack though, I can't see why any decent employer would do that unless you've been unreliable in the past or something.

never had a problem before always traveled when asked and have done the short notice thing as recently as last week hence me having the 3rd day off in a row

the thing is im due to be going away in the morning for the night its my 1st time in 2 months to have consecutive days off

this really has come as a shock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Not being smart or anything but how does this person have your mobile phone number, did you give it to them? Or was it passed on by a third party? Seems like a rough break OP, good employers who cares about trying to retain their staff don't pull stunts like this in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I'm surprised by the lack of surprise about being threatened with the sack!
    Keep that text OP. Keep that text.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Did he really say 'or you'll lose your job'?. There's no chance your Regional Manager didn't realise you had booked the day off or anything?

I've certainly never heard of any employer agreeing to give an employee leave and then retracting it again. With a threat. That's unreal to be honest, doesn't sound like you work for a very nice company.

Am sure there is legislation that would state you are entitled to a contract of employment if you have been doing the job so long. You must have payslips and stuff, it's not like they could claim you weren't there.

I'd be livid if I were you anyway.

Did he really say 'or you'll lose your job'?. There's no chance your Regional Manager didn't realise you had booked the day off or anything?

I've certainly never heard of any employer agreeing to give an employee leave and then retracting it again. With a threat. That's unreal to be honest, doesn't sound like you work for a very nice company.

Am sure there is legislation that would state you are entitled to a contract of employment if you have been doing the job so long. You must have payslips and stuff, it's not like they could claim you weren't there.

I'd be livid if I were you anyway.

the text says (managers name) wants you to work on monday in belfast he says if refuse he will take that as your resignation no joking give me a buzz

when i rang the manager who sent the text he said he was just passing on the message but that the regional manager is deadly serious and is sick of unhelpful staff never mentioning me by name so i said i will ring the regional manager 1st thing

just trying to get some info on my rights before i go shooting myself in the foot

i never say no when it come to overtime and travelling but i just think this time is a little unresonable

my number is on file in the office to respond to the poster who asked where they got my number from

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Sounds like the regional fella may have been frustrated and referring to a number of people rather than just you. Just my take on it.

Give him a ring directly in the morning, and be reasonable. If he's worth his salt he'll have a constructive conversation with you.

sdonn wrote: »
    Sounds like the regional fella may have been frustrated and referring to a number of people rather than just you. Just my take on it.

Give him a ring directly in the morning, and be reasonable. If he's worth his salt he'll have a constructive conversation with you.

do u think it would be reasonable to offer to work in kildare and get him to send some1 else to belfast that way i can still enjoy my night away tomorrow night and make it into work monday morning rather than getting a train @ 7am

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah I think that would be reasonable.

What a great 'Regional Manager' putting a request like that in writing....sounds more like a liability to the company.

As you work in retail, they could come back with the ' you work 5 dasy over 7' thing even though you don't have a contract.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

mari2222 wrote: »
    It is the employer who has final say on when you get time off.
    When they give you a month's advance written notice and don't retract previously agreed leave they do. Beyond that they're reaching an accommodation with you.

Advertisement