Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions About Community Midwives

Options
  • 07-05-2011 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I'm 17 weeks, first baby, and I've signed up with the community midwives. My first appointment isn't til next week - so far all I've done is see the GP once to fill in some paperwork.

Just one thing - if I have a problem, who am I supposed to call?

On Friday (yesterday) I thought I had a problem and called the number I have for them at around 3. I left a message explaining my problem and asked for someone to call me back. They never called back.

I also tried my GP but he had already gone home for the weekend.
    I didn't think it was serious enough to call Holles St, but really, I would have liked to talk to someone.

Things are fine now, and Dr. Google made me less nervous, but I wasn't very impressed.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

Someone should definitely have called you back. If in doubt call the labour ward.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bobobear

I've had this problem before when I was trying to sign up with them, I had to call twice before I ever spoke to anyone. I filled out the forms and sent them in by emailand was told someone would call me. Noone did, I had to call and call to get an answer about whether they would take me or not. It took over a week to get an answer.

Now I'm thinking of just going back to combined care with the consultant and saying goodbye to the domino scheme. I'm just dreading the longer wait to be seen!

Does anyone know if once I've been in for the booking appointment I'll get a proper contact number (like a mobile)? This is just ridiculous!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If you have vhi sign up to their pregnancy service, it is free and useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

We have nothing but praise for the Domino Scheme, we found our community midwives to be absolutely brilliant! > just sounds like you need to clarify who to call, then once you have done this & made a couple of visits you can relax in the knowledge that in the later stages of your pregnancy, during the birth itself, & then after the birth, the community midwives are second to none. For Hollis St community midwives, call reception & ask for 'bleep 090'

The Domino scheme isnt for everyone, but if you qualify we'd certainly recommend it, without reservation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

There is always a community midwife around to speak to, like a previous poster said, you just need to clarify which number to call. I think once you have youself established with them you will find it a great service, especially postnatally

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone, I really do want to stick with the domino scheme. I'm just getting a bit nervous at 17 weeks without seeing anyone! I want some sort of proof that there's really a baby in there and maybe a bit of reassurance that everything's ok so far.

I went with them primarily to get an early discharge from the hospital, what other advantages are there postnatally? Or antenatally, or in labour for that matter!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Well in labour you will have one of the Community Midwives with you, so there is a fairly good chance that you will have met your midwife at one of your antenatal visits. This will be nice as you won't have a stranger with you in your hour of need! They are also very pro-active in supporting the birth plan you decide on. Even if you don't write a birth plan, they will have discussed with you what you want and will really try and help you achieve what you want. This is especially great for those who want a very natural birth.

Postnatally you will get to go home early and the support at home is great. Even though it may only be a short visit, at least you will have the midwives full attention. They are really empowering and will fill you with all the confidence you need as a new mother.

Antenatally, you shouldn't have to wait too long to be seen and you can hopefully see them in one of the satellite clinics if it suits you? I know they do Dun Laoghaire and Greystones... Not sure where else without looking. Either way, as they have a restricted case load, there is only so many people booked for appointments on a day, so you shouldn't have to wait for hours with the masses in OPD in Holles St.

Of course the biggest advantage is that its free!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

I was with them and found them fantastic. As the others said you'll be given a contact number (not the secretary's). I always got through at once, anyway.

The home visits before the birth (while in early labour) and afterwards were great.

Thanks for the replies.

I got a call back today (Sunday), about 48 hours after my original call. I was told that if I had any problems again to ring Holles St and ask them to bleep the community midwives.

I suppose I did just have the wrong number. :o

I'll be going in to them this week for my first appointment so I'll get to ask them all the questions then.

It's all getting a bit real now - I bought my first things today. Just a few vests, but wow, there's baby stuff in the house! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lowlow112

Is this site still available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

bobobear wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, I really do want to stick with the domino scheme. I'm just getting a bit nervous at 17 weeks without seeing anyone! I want some sort of proof that there's really a baby in there and maybe a bit of reassurance that everything's ok so far.

I went with them primarily to get an early discharge from the hospital, what other advantages are there postnatally? Or antenatally, or in labour for that matter!

Thanks.

I'm with domino in a different hospital (Coombe) and switched from Holles St public at 20 weeks to be with them; I'm now 34 weeks.

In terms of early reassurance, I went for a private scan at 9 weeks, ended up having a mini scan at 12 weeks in the hospital and that was it until my anatomy scan at 20 weeks. It seems like until you get to your big scan week at 20 weeks you are very much left to your own devices on the public system at least (I'm not sure if you get more appointments between 12 and 20 weeks on semi-private or private). I would say if you haven't had a scan yet and feel a bit nervous and you have the money, why not book a private scan.

I have zero regrets switching to domino, I have found them amazing, and having no waiting times, at all (maximum maybe 15 minutes!!) at my local clinic has been just brilliant.

Other reasons I chose domino is because I like the ethos of minimal intervention unless needed/desired, I feel more empowered and listened to by the midwives as they really take their time with me, I found this was not the case in Holles st simply because they were so busy- they were still great. I am aiming to use the labouring pool and gas and air if I can, and while epidural isn't offered on coombe domino, if I want one I just ask and they switch me over to Obs care. Like yourself I like the idea of going home early and the midwives doing home visits.

Anywho, just my 2 cents on the advantages I've found so far, can let ya know more once I have the baby ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement