Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

copyright and fair use

Options
  • 07-05-2011 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi All,

Anyone know how the copyright / fair use rule works in Ireland?

I am interested in making children's books - these will use classic stories or nursery rhymes e.g. the three bears / hey diddle diddle. I would also like to use recent stories by recent writers e.g. the gruffalo. These will all be seperate books and not compiled into one volume.

I want to donate these to schools / libraries that would use them. This will be voluntary and not for commercial use / gain.

Anyone know if I am allowed to use these original stories freely? 7

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Might be worth having a read of the relevant education level page here.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

"Fair use" does not exist in Irish copyright law, it is an American concept. Instead we have something called "fair dealing", which is considerably more limited.

Writing your own retelling of old fairy tales like the three little pigs is fine -- most of these tales date back centuries so the characters and plots are long since out of copyright. Simply reprinting other people's modern versions verbatim or rewriting modern original stories like the Gruffalo is likely to get you sued, even if you're not selling the books.

Advertisement