Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving guinea pig from Wales to Ireland

Options
  • 07-05-2011 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi
    Hopefully someone can help me. I want to get a guinea pig while here in Wales and will be moving back to Ireland in September. I'm pretty sure it's ok to bring the pet home but not sure what I need to do or how much it would cost (vet bills etc). Also I'd like to know how long it would take to do all the legal stuff.

Hopefully someone can help me!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

crazy.lady wrote: »
    Hi
    Hopefully someone can help me. I want to get a guinea pig while here in Wales and will be moving back to Ireland in September. I'm pretty sure it's ok to bring the pet home but not sure what I need to do or how much it would cost (vet bills etc). Also I'd like to know how long it would take to do all the legal stuff.

Hopefully someone can help me!

Thanks

Not sure its much help but we bought our hamsters over with us when moving. We came on the ferry and there were no questions we just made sure that the cage was secure and that they had food and water, never opened the car windows on the ferry because of the fumes and the hamsters survived another 3yrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 crazy.lady

Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Theres no regulations as far as I know between UK and Ireland, you can travel freely, I've met rabbits, piggies, cats and dogs, even a pair of chinchillas on the ferry in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Yeh there should be no hassle bringing them over here, main thing is to make it as stress free as possible for them, a comfortable carrier that you can strap into the car (if travelling by ferry) so they don't get bounced about and plenty of hay to cushion them with thick layers of newspaper or a vet bed on the bottom. The water bottle can't be used it'll probably just drip like mad and they'll get soaked but bring one along so you can offer tham a drink when you stop.
    Have plenty of veggies soaked in a little water in a plastic bag maybe esp. cucumber that's high in water that way they can nibble away in their carrier and get some moisture from that.

Thank you so much that's great advice! Do you know whether I need to inform Stena Line? I know dogs are £13 or something but they said nothing about other animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Dogs and cats are free so assume smallies are too, I called about my dog and they said no problem, I was a foot passenger, if you're travelling by car just tell them at check in. It can be a bit noisy at times (loading etc)so maybe leave on a radio to keep a background noise, lessen the bangs.

Thanks everyone for your insight!

Advertisement