Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Repeating First Year Arts

Options
  • 07-05-2011 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

How much would it cost to repeat first year Arts, now that there are fees?

Thanks,
    Brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

You would have to pay the €1,650 + the government tuition.

Overall I think it's over €4,000.

There's always August if you need to repeat any failed subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

brian1991 wrote: »

Thanks,
    Brian

Would you actually repeat Arts...if I had the chance again I would have 50 things before it on my CAO application..first year down..hated it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Thanks,
    Brian

If you fail one or however amount you just repeat them. It'll cost per module. Just under a thousand at my last reading. If you fail one, you don't fail them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Thanks,
    Brian
    Don't fail first year. Total waste of time. Scrape through it if you can, and take next year off. Nobody ever wants to know, or cares, about your first year marks. Your final degree is the important bit.

So put in a couple of weeks work and do your best to bull**** through. Photocopy your friends' notes, do whatever it takes. But don't waste a year farting around in 1st year again, when you could take off somewhere and work for a year instead, coming back to do second year when you are ready.

Also, you'll get sick of people calling you a re-fresher.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

If you fail one or however amount you just repeat them. It'll cost per module. Just under a thousand at my last reading. If you fail one, you don't fail them all.

1000 euro per module?:eek:

• Advertisement

Don't fail first year. Total waste of time. Scrape through it if you can, and take next year off. Nobody ever wants to know, or cares, about your first year marks. Your final degree is the important bit.

So put in a couple of weeks work and do your best to bull**** through. Photocopy your friends' notes, do whatever it takes. But don't waste a year farting around in 1st year again, when you could take off somewhere and work for a year instead, coming back to do second year when you are ready.

Also, you'll get sick of people calling you a re-fresher.
    Would you actually advise to take one year off after completing this year??It would be interesting to do. Also, said Id post a question here. Say for English iv 2 exams or for history iv 3. Must I pass every exam or will the whole thing added together get you through the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

closeline wrote: »
    Would you actually advise to take one year off after completing this year??It would be interesting to do. Also, said Id post a question here. Say for English iv 2 exams or for history iv 3. Must I pass every exam or will the whole thing added together get you through the year.
    I've no idea re. the exam rules. In my day you had to pass on average, I think.

Re. taking a year off - if you are so unfocused that you are worried about passing first year (which, lets be honest, should be a cake walk) then it might make sense to try to limp through it rather than quitting and having to spend another year of your life doing it again. Far better to scrape through with a last ditch effort, and have the choice to spend the year working abroad (or here) and then turning up for second year in a year's time.

College is great fun - but only when you are making progress. Trust me on this. If you are not going to work and pass, be somewhere else doing something interesting. Don't just be there wasting time and money and getting nowhere.

pbowenroe wrote: »
    1000 euro per module?:eek:

€950 for Politics one year. It adds up. Like TML91 said, 4k for the course. Four subjects, around 1k each.

I've no idea re. the exam rules. In my day you had to pass on average, I think.

Re. taking a year off - if you are so unfocused that you are worried about passing first year (which, lets be honest, should be a cake walk) then it might make sense to try to limp through it rather than quitting and having to spend another year of your life doing it again. Far better to scrape through with a last ditch effort, and have the choice to spend the year working abroad (or here) and then turning up for second year in a year's time.

College is great fun - but only when you are making progress. Trust me on this. If you are not going to work and pass, be somewhere else doing something interesting. Don't just be there wasting time and money and getting nowhere.

Well it was another poster, not me who was wondering about repeating next year. If i did fail this year, there is no way I would repeat the year. Thanks for the advice on taking a year off..and i presume doing 2nd year in 2012/13 rather than in 2011/12 is at no extra cost.just the same fees?

€950 for Politics one year. It adds up. Like TML91 said, 4k for the course. Four subjects, around 1k each.

Are you talking about repeating the year or the August exams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

Would you actually repeat Arts...if I had the chance again I would have 50 things before it on my CAO application..first year down..hated it..

What did you hate about Arts? Did you do another course to compare it with? I'm considering doing a different course.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pirateninja

What did you hate about Arts? Did you do another course to compare it with? I'm considering doing a different course.

Dropping out is a big decision to make so be sure that if you make that decision you know what you want to do. Arts is the cheapest course to repeat at 4K, I changed to BIS and it cost 7K for the first year.

This is a link for how much different courses cost for the year 2010/2011

http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/international/visiting-eu/cost/

Bear in mind that you might have to reapply through the CAO so check the dates for that. You can also contact the course co-ordinator of a new course you're thinking about applying to to see can you do a transfer. More than likely you will have to have the points for the new course regardless of whether you do a transfer or not. Also most transfers within UCC can only take place within the college i.e From Arts you would only be able to transfer into another course within the college like Social Science.

Feel free to PM me if you've any questions.

pbowenroe wrote: »
    Are you talking about repeating the year or the August exams?

Repeating the year.

August exams are free.

Repeating the year.

August exams are free.

thank you

I just find all the Arts subjects extremly boring and it is a lot harder than people say. A lot of time is consumed and can be difficult at times. There is no way I would drop out though or repeat the year. I fully expect to pass my exams anyway.

I just find all the Arts subjects extremly boring and it is a lot harder than people say.

It's about time people understand how difficult Arts is.

A lot of time is consumed and can be difficult at times.

No shít. It's college.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

Repeating the year.

August exams are free.

are repeating augest exams free?

is there a link?

are repeating augest exams free?

is there a link?

Yes they're free.

A link to what?

Yes they're free.

A link to what?

Sorry to where it says they're free?

Take our word!

Google it.

• Advertisement

Not that I know of. Trust us they're free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

http://ceilevarley.wordpress.com/2011/01/05/dcu-third-most-expensive-university-in-ireland/
    Trinity students must pay €382 to repeat exams while UCD students must pay €230. The DCU cost is €190 and NUI Galway charges €200. DIT and NUI Maynooth both charge only €60 to repeat an exam. Repeating is free in UCC.

Not the most official source, but they are free. I was looking info on this last month and eventually asked a lecturer who confirmed they are free. The awkward moment when your talking to your lecturer about repeats before youve taken the Summer exam.

cheers

http://ceilevarley.wordpress.com/2011/01/05/dcu-third-most-expensive-university-in-ireland/

Not the most official source, but they are free. I was looking info on this last month and eventually asked a lecturer who confirmed they are free. The awkward moment when your talking to your lecturer about repeats before youve taken the Summer exam.

hahaha awkward. Well thank god there free, good thing we are in ucc lol, god even though there free the thought of repeating them. oh how horrible

Advertisement