Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA 12 month work visa- Aren't those prices bloody nuts

Options
  • 07-05-2011 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

More of a rant than anything else, I've been considering getting out of Ireland for a year, preferable the USA but those visa prices just seem extortionate! especially when compared to Australia or Canada visa prices.

Anyone know if its possible to go directly through the embassy and bypass usit or would it even be worth the saving if there would be any?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

More of a rant than anything else, I've been considering getting out of Ireland for a year, preferable the USA but those visa prices just seem extortionate! especially when compared to Australia or Canada visa prices.

Anyone know if its possible to go directly through the embassy and bypass usit or would it even be worth the saving if there would be any?
    I agree the prices are insane, I found the IIC (Irish Immigration Centre, Boston) a bit cheaper. http://www.iicenter.org/services/documents/J-1IWTGuidelines_Process_FAQ_sheet_revisedMarch2010.pdf

I'll be going with them if I apply for the visa in July/August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭BrendanRyan

cheers thanks i'll have a look into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

I was looking into IIC myself and the one thing that kind of makes me want to go for go4less is the fact that you have to find your own travel insurance that meets THEIR requirements.

Blue insurance, who do the same plan for Go4less for 289e are quoting me 649e for it if I buy it myself. This is some difference.

Also with Go4less you can travel on a one way ticket - and not have to worry about buying a return just yet. For me going to Seattle - I'm looking at 1500$ return for 11 months as orbitz won't let me book over a year in advance. or 550e for a one way with go4less.

Just in case any one is wondering, I dont work for go4less - but I've been doing alot of research into this visa and have been bogged down in it for days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

i only paid something like 220 for my insurance you sure your looking at the right insurance? Its the back packer insurance i got...

I just checked there and its coming up for 219

https://www.blueinsurance.ie/NewPol_CalPrice.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

I didn't realise that you could get the back packers insurance for the trip. Fantastic news. One concern I now have is whether to go with the IIC or another provider (usit/go4less). On the IIC intern guidelines form they want you to sign, it states that you cannot accept a job until they approve it and if I don't get an internship within 3 months then I must return home. Go4less's site doesn't mention any of these conditions.

I'm hoping to get a decent 'career' job over there, but at the same time I don't mind if I end up having to work retail or in a bar just to get by.

Any insight would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

I didn't realise that you could get the back packers insurance for the trip. Fantastic news. One concern I now have is whether to go with the IIC or another provider (usit/go4less). On the IIC intern guidelines form they want you to sign, it states that you cannot accept a job until they approve it and if I don't get an internship within 3 months then I must return home. Go4less's site doesn't mention any of these conditions.

I'm hoping to get a decent 'career' job over there, but at the same time I don't mind if I end up having to work retail or in a bar just to get by.

Any insight would be appreciated.
    If you are applying for the 12 month J1 you have to get a job related to your degree field, it cannot be bar work or any other type of job like the 3 month J1.

I agree the condition of having 3 months to get a job is annoying especially if you have the money to survive and people to stay with. IIC told me that you can arrive in the country up to 30 days before the agreed start date on your visa, therefore giving yourself 4 months to find a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 SonicC

It may not mention these conditions on the GoForLess site, but they are same for all, IIC, USIT these are all sponsors of the J1 12 month intern visa which all come US government who issue them to the sponsor's and then onto us. Each applicant is issued a form DS-7002 which has to be filled out by you and your employer while working in US. the 3 months thing kind of puts you under pressure for looking for job, but like OP mentioned and what im doing, is going 30days before, so it gives me technically 4 months to get a job.

Also i got my insurance for €219 with blue insurances, and didnt have to book a return flight (some the insurance company's imply this rule even the ones recommended by the IIC)

Advertisement