Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a campervan for the summer and not lose much money? Spain/Germany/France

Options
  • 07-05-2011 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello, I am currently thinking of buying a campervan for the summer. Me and my mate want to live in europe for 2-3 months and thought we could get a campervan on the cheap. I heard that 2nd hand ones on Germany are cheap. We were thinking of spending most of our time in spain and then selling the vehicle at the end of the summer. Would it be worth buying one in Germany and driving to Spain so that I could sell it without making a loss. Also I will only want insurance for 2-3 months so I was wondering what the best option is here? Could I get Irish insurance? I know you can only get German export insurance for a short period so I would more than likely have to register it in Spain, am I right? I would really love some advice here. I read that it will cost about €200 to export from Germany, probably another €200 on fuel to Barcelona, right? Not sure of cost of importing to Spain. I really only want to spent max €6000 on a vehicle and would like to make that back + maybe the 400-500 I spent. Would I really be able to sell it somewhere in Europe for the 500 extra since Germany is supposed to be cheaper? Any advice on where to look to purchase it and get insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

so you wanty to buy oner , use it , tour around and not do it up , then sell it at a profit? best of luck with that!

and FWIW , they're cheaper here now than abroad. once you factor in the exorbitant VRT .

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

if you pull that one off please post details .i would love to try it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I did this a few years ago but the only way I could make it almost cost neutral was to hold the van for a year.

I bought a late 80's VW Westfaila in Munich for about €4.5k and this included the export plates and insurance for 56 days. Spent two months on the continent mostly in Southern France and Spain and brought the van back to Ireland. I VRT'd on the old rules but as it was a pop top I still got stung for €1300 or so. As the market declines at the end of summer I waited until the following May and sold the van for €6.5k

I remember some dealerships in Germany would offer a guaranteed buy back value so you could sell it back to them minus in the region of 25-30% subject to mileage and condition so that is another option.

Advertisement