Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUIG accom for post-grad

Options
  • 06-05-2011 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I'm hoping to do post-grad in NUIG in Sep 2011. Wondering where's the best student accomadation for that (price, location etc). Not looking for best place for parties/social life had enough of that with degree in UL :).
    or whats renting private house situation like up there?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

If you're doing a post-grad I'm sure you've moved on from student accommodation, and I'd be fairly sure its booked out by now anyway. When is your course starting? If its in September then you're going to have to join the race for a house with the rest of the students, but if its later then you should have a fairly good choice. Your best bet would be to get a place mid-summer if you can afford to do that, you'll have your pick of places then but once students come back looking for a place its going to be tougher getting a nice house.
    Renting a room privately you're looking at something around €300 a month, not including bills/ntl etc. For that money the standards vary wildly, so take your time looking around.
    There are some nice apartments right in town for that money if you're lucky, but failing that somewhere like Newcastle is close to college and it should be easy enough to avoid messy student areas. The Galway advertiser's website and daft.ie are the best places to go looking, keep an eye on prices there and you'll get a fair idea of the going rate and average standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Are you looking for just a room (presumably?) or an apartment? I've a 2-bed in teh city centre that would suit the likes of a post-grad/professional that is getting a total renovation this summer, but it's going to be rented out as an apartment, not a room

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

benjamin d wrote: »
    If you're doing a post-grad I'm sure you've moved on from student accommodation, and I'd be fairly sure its booked out by now anyway. When is your course starting? If its in September then you're going to have to join the race for a house with the rest of the students, but if its later then you should have a fairly good choice. Your best bet would be to get a place mid-summer if you can afford to do that, you'll have your pick of places then but once students come back looking for a place its going to be tougher getting a nice house.
    Renting a room privately you're looking at something around €300 a month, not including bills/ntl etc. For that money the standards vary wildly, so take your time looking around.
    There are some nice apartments right in town for that money if you're lucky, but failing that somewhere like Newcastle is close to college and it should be easy enough to avoid messy student areas. The Galway advertiser's website and daft.ie are the best places to go looking, keep an eye on prices there and you'll get a fair idea of the going rate and average standards.

All of this.

I'm doing a post-grad, and from what I've heard about the student accomodation, I'd probably have put a gun in my mouth if I were staying there. A decent room in a house or apartment is no more expensive than student accomodation and has the added benefit of living like a grown up person.

Ideally try to find one or two other mature people to share a place with and rent it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cazhater

Im a post grad looking for a room toooo... Would really like to secure somewhere nice (and cheap :P).. do you reckon there would be any places that are being rented as holiday homes for the summer that might accept a deposit now , for me to begin in September? Or is it a bit of a long shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

cazhater wrote: »
    Im a post grad looking for a room toooo... Would really like to secure somewhere nice (and cheap :P).. do you reckon there would be any places that are being rented as holiday homes for the summer that might accept a deposit now , for me to begin in September? Or is it a bit of a long shot?

But they'll be renting out the whole apartment, as opposed to individual rooms I reckon.

Best bet is do as was said above - find another like minded person and find an apartment (or however many other people it takes)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Hi,

I'm a mature student. I've two rooms coming up in my house for next year.

280 for small room, 300 for large.

I live in residential area, 20 mins walk from town. The house has off-street parking, all the usual mod-cons, broadband, two bathrooms, separate study etc etc.

I'm looking for mature students to keep me sane around exam time and not wreck the place.

Drop me a PM if you're interested. Its not problem if you want to come and look early.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

same for me. PhD student (will be once i get the shagging docs off :P ), living in Limerick atm, but was kinda thinking of moving to Galway in new year some time.....anyone advise possibly?

thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jlg45

Hi,
    I'm finding myself in the same boat. I'll be starting a postgraduate degree in Law come September and am desperately trying to find a place. I'm 24, female, tidy/considerate, and currently living in Scotland. I’m planning on taking a trip sometime in June/July to try and scope out some places. (Trying to find either a room in an flat/house, or possibly getting a place to share with a one or two other postgrads.) Maybe drop me a PM and we can try and collaborate ideas?

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Gaillimh10

Have a look at www.daft.ie/sharing . Anything in Newcastle/RAhoon/HEadford Road area is close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jlg45

Gaillimh10 wrote: »
    Have a look at www.daft.ie/sharing . Anything in Newcastle/RAhoon/HEadford Road area is close

Thanks for recommendation. I've slowly been making my way through daft, but finding it a bit overwhelming to visual some of these places since I've never been to Galway (and google maps can only go so far!)

Cheers though!
    -jlg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

You'd be best avoiding student accommodation! Mostly I'd advise getting somewhere in the city, it can be cheap enough and it's nice to be a little away from campus while still being within walking distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Katie Kaboom

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Are you looking for just a room (presumably?) or an apartment? I've a 2-bed in teh city centre that would suit the likes of a post-grad/professional that is getting a total renovation this summer, but it's going to be rented out as an apartment, not a room

I'd be interested in your apt. Is it on Daft?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I'm 20, masters student looking for a double room with my partner, if anyone knows of some decent places sub 350 then let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Eoin1988

Hey, I'm 23 and starting a postgrad in September. I'm looking for somewhere relatively cheap in or near the city (and close to NUIG obviously). If anyone is looking for someone to share a place with or knows of someone who is, get in touch!
    Cheers.

Advertisement