Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsightly hairs

Options
  • 06-05-2011 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Any advice on this?

I have hair growing between the knuckles and the first and second joints in my fingers (if you get my drift) and I was wondering whether I should be getting rid of this? Do most men do this? And if I should get rid of it, should I shave or pluck?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Plucking is probably the cheapest and easiest option for you to be honest.Laser treatment is an option but it may be costly enough.

Mod hat.

Any comments/pictures etc about Fr Jack and the hairy hands or any kind of rubbish like that will result in a ban,no exceptions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You mean the first part of yer finger?

I've got'em too... as I'm sure most blokes do...

You could prob use a trimmer or something if you want to shave'em off..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Any comments/pictures etc about Fr Jack and the hairy hands

:D Loved that episode.

On topic, I have these random thick black hairs on my arms, where the hair is generally thin and fair, and I just pluck them. If they're bothering you that much and you have the funds see if laser would be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭micayla

If the hair is thin plucking is a good option, if the hair's a bit thicker you could try waxing. It's not that painful:P Don't shave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Thought most lads had hair on their fingery bits? Pluck if you're that concerned. Or bite them off like a real man grrrrr. Shaving would just make the hair grow back stronger (?).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Is "unsightly" your own personal perception or is it that of others?

Hair grows in all sorts of places on men....it's an issue if you make it one...just curious OP as to why you consider it an issue for you?

I have male friends some who have hairy ears/backs/shoulders/chests/fingers/arms/eybrows/noses or a combination of the above

...I don't think anything of it...they all have girlfriends/wives....are confident...successful etc...it's obviously an issue for you...just wondering why?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I would reckon most lads have this, sure I have it myself and know loads of lads who do too. Just something natural I figure...but if it does irritate or you just plain dont like the look of them, wax the little buggers off!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Also, what's the story with some lads letting their two eyebrows grow into one?

Would these not be classed as unsightly hairs - wouldn't it be better to trim them in the middle to clearly define the 2 eyebrows rather than have 1 brow acroos your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Cicero wrote: »
    Is "unsightly" your own personal perception or is it that of others?

Hair grows in all sorts of places on men....it's an issue if you make it one...just curious OP as to why you consider it an issue for you?

I have male friends some who have hairy ears/backs/shoulders/chests/fingers/arms/eybrows/noses or a combination of the above

...I don't think anything of it...they all have girlfriends/wives....are confident...successful etc...it's obviously an issue for you...just wondering why?

Just curious. I was in the pub and noticed that none of the other guys there seemed to have hair on that part of their hands (to clarify: hair on fingers, not on palm side, in the middle bits between the knuckles and joints) and some of them seemed like they were hairy buggers (I'm pretty hairy too).

I guess judging from the replies here, most guys wouldn't bother getting rid of the hairs there, so I'm happy to go with that. I'm probably overly concerned with hair on my body (the whole front of my body is like a rug, from chest to groin - getting rid of that hair would mean serious money).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

Who cares about finger hair?

im at that stage that i have to figure out what contraptions are out there for ear and nose hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

qz wrote: »
    Shaving would just make the hair grow back stronger (?).

Old wives tail. The reason it seems stronger is because you blunt the end of the hair when it's cut by the blade, and unshaven hair grows into a fine point. The hair that grows back will be as strong or as thick as it's going to be if you didn't shave. On the other hand, plucking weakens the hair follicle so it's possible the hair will be thinner with constant plucking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Old wives tail. The reason it seems stronger is because you blunt the end of the hair when it's cut by the blade, and unshaven hair grows into a fine point. The hair that grows back will be as strong or as thick as it's going to be if you didn't shave. On the other hand, plucking weakens the hair follicle so it's possible the hair will be thinner with constant plucking.

I've heard many people say it's an old wives tale, but from my experience with chest hair anything I have shaved it, it does grown back more than before and spread out more across my chest. I haven't shaved it in a while and it just seems to be covering the same area (ie, not spreading out).

TBH honest Op unless it's unsightly I wound't bother with it. If you do decide to get rid of it, shaving may be tricky enough consider the small area, so maybe try a hair removal cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Have it too, wouldn't dream of getting rid of it. And lighting the oven tends to trim it every so often anyway

Advertisement