Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top of Empire State Building & 8 weeks pregnant

Options
  • 06-05-2011 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

This is probably a silly question but are there any issues taking those express lifts to the top of sky scrapers while early pregnant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It's just my personal opinion but I can't see why. Surely you're flying to New York so taking the lift would be no worse than sitting in a plane as it takes off and that's considered ok in early pregnancy. I flew at 5 and 10 weeks.

If you're worried then ask your gp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

It's just my personal opinion but I can't see why. Surely you're flying to New York so taking the lift would be no worse than sitting in a plane as it takes off and that's considered ok in early pregnancy. I flew at 5 and 10 weeks.

If you're worried then ask your gp.

Thanks I had asked him about the flying which was fine but this has Ben sprung on me (it's to go to a nice restaurant). I comPared it to flying too but the airplane is pressurised. GP only works til Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Not a problem form a safety point of view, but some people get a little queezy in them, so I imgaine if you had bad morning sickness, it may make it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Sorry found this thread in the homepage, I have never been pregnant but have a very weak stomach. The lifts do move very fast and it feels a bit like being on a roller coaster. My ears popped and I vomited :o

I don't know whether it would be dangerous, but for me it was definitely unpleasant. That's my experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

my ears popped too in the lift but can't say I felt sick. If American lawyers ever suspected lifts were a danger to pregnant women they would have everyone getting on one take a pregnancy test first!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I'm 17 weeks this coming Tuesday & was up at the top of the Empire State Building last Tuesday. Didn't feel remotely sick in the elevator & barely noticed it moving. Ears popped, but that's about it.
    Home since Friday & felt absolutely fine throughout the entire trip, so can't see it being a problem, unless you shouldn't do things like that in the first trimester?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

There is no way I would let my missus fly while pregnant not that she would want to. I thought you were not supposed to fly up to 12 weeks anyway.

-Corkie- wrote: »
    There is no way I would let my missus fly while pregnant.
    I wont comment on this one - thats an entirely different thread....
    I thought you were not supposed to fly up to 12 weeks anyway.
    Well the doctor must have gotten it wrong so...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

There is no way I would let my missus fly while pregnant not that she would want to. I thought you were not supposed to fly up to 12 weeks anyway.

http://www.pregnancy-info.net/wellbeing_flying.html - perfectly safe according to doctor, hospital, websites etc. I wouldn't have flown in my 1st trimester, but that was my own choice - 1st baby, nervous as hell etc. If you are going to miscarry or have problems, then you'll just as easily have the exact same problems at home according to the health professionals.

As for not allowing your partner to fly, each to their own. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 emmeim

I flew back from Oz at 5 weeks no bother. Also flew to NY and back at 9 weeks and went up in the lift in the Rockafella Centre to the viewing deck - had no problems at all. Flying is perfectly safe, as is taking high rise fast lifts!!

Enjoy your break away!

• Advertisement

All went well and didnt even feel sick. Thanks to all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

What a knowledgeable and informed individual. Lucky wife.....

Flown plenty even long haul (Asia, Oz, New Zealand, South America...) on all my pregnancies. Enjoy your hols!

Advertisement