Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

training,breaking the whole lot im clueless!

Options
  • 06-05-2011 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

hi recently my mare has just had a foal(coal) thank god she is a fantanstic mommy and they both are healthy but now i've to learn all about foals and young horses' if possible could ye post a sort of guide of what to do at what times . the foal is already very use to people and now theres is only a small resistance to me putting on a headcollar (he's only a week old yesterday)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

For the rest of his life the most important things he can know how to do are
    1) To be lead by a human anywhere a human wants him to go;)
    2) to have his feet picked up by a human at anytime (especially by the Human with the tools who does pedicures):D

Teach him these now and you will be doing ok

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭pixysarah

well first off just take things slowly with your new foal, dont rush things as you might end up scaring both the mare and foal. after that try getting him used to you touching/brushing him, once he is used to that you can try picking up hes hoofs and getting him used to that. you can also teach him to walk beside you on the lead just again take it slowly he doesn't need to do all this stuff right now.

whens his testicles drop you need to get him gelded this is done by your vet, it can be done at anytime but imo its best to be done around 4-6months

at about 4months+ when the foal is eating by himself you can wean him off the mare. after you have done that he can live happily out in the field on his own or with other yearling's until he is 3-3.5years old

once he reaches 3-3.5 if you haven't sold him you need to send him to a professional to get him broken, a horse that isn't broken properly is a disaster and it could take a long time to get him right again! so just send him to a professional for a few months!

hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

pixysarah wrote: »
    at about 4months+ when the foal is eating by himself you can wean him off the mare. after you have done that he can live happily out in the field on his own or with other yearling's until he is 3-3.5years old

Bit of a debate on this one. I recommend no less then 6 months as there has been a few tests showing the younger they are weaned the more likely hood of them developing vices. Ideally 7-8 months is perfect! I know many who have waited till this age and mare and foal didn't mind being separated full time - a less stressful experience all round. Of course they can be separated for short periods of time before this if you wish to bring the mare back into work.

As for the OP, Ive heard this book is really good : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Foal-Full-grown-Janet-Lorch/dp/0715307223

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭pixysarah

Bit of a debate on this one. I recommend no less then 6 months as there has been a few tests showing the younger they are weaned the more likely hood of them developing vices.

No debate, thats just when i was taught to do it. we always slowly separate them anyway so they might be closer to 6-7months before fully weaned anyway.
    never had any vices ect but would love to hear more about how later weaning can help/benefit male and foal. could you point me in the direction of any articles/books using this method? Thanks

Advertisement