Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attack from space!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I don't see how shutting down SETI monitoring would help to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

I don't see how shutting down SETI monitoring would help to be honest.

Jodie Foster and a pair of oversized headphones is our first and last line of defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Just thought it was interesting timing to turn off a radio telescope was all
    I do enjoy reading way too much into these things

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Budget cuts and a malfunction.. I've just posted this in Wolfe Tone's thread, may as well put it here:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Budget cuts and a malfunction.. I've just posted this in Wolfe Tone's thread, may as well put it here:

I really want that man to have been my Godfather.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭David Matthew

CiaranMT wrote: »

Optical Illusions as Brain Failures - afraid I can't agree there. The brain is, in such a case, reacting precisely as it should be. Perception is not failing at this point - judgement is. Such derrogation of eye-witness testimony is actually hindering progress in fields such as cognitive nueroscience and the like; the logical extreme of such 'hard-headed' scientism is a barren behaviourism.

I don't know much about the guy TBH; I just take issue with some of what he is saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Optical Illusions as Brain Failures - afraid I can't agree there. The brain is, in such a case, reacting precisely as it should be. Perception is not failing at this point - judgement is. Such derrogation of eye-witness testimony is actually hindering progress in fields such as cognitive nueroscience and the like; the logical extreme of such 'hard-headed' scientism is a barren behaviourism.

I don't know much about the guy TBH; I just take issue with some of what he is saying.

He's an astrophysicist :P

@Di0genes, I know. He's brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭David Matthew

red menace wrote: »
    http://www.space.com/11524-nasa-space-shuttle-launch-delay-endeavour.html

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/306188

Seti closed down and Endeavour launch delayed.
    Plus a blanket coverage of the OBL killing over the weekend.

Are we being distracted from something?

Life is full of distractions. Internet forums are amongst the most pernicious... ;)

- How To Overcome Internet Distraction Disorder

Seriously though, I think it would be possible to construe any given day's media coverage as a 'distraction' from something 'they don't want you to know' (but which nonetheless happens to be very easily found via Google)...

Advertisement