Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any online source of info for upcoming book releases?

Options
  • 06-05-2011 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Posted this in the News and Media section and thought it might do some good to post here too!

I have googled for this and for once am getting nowhere even there, apart from amazon who give a small selection only and for the month ahead only.

So.. does anyone here know how book reviewers find out about new book releases a month or more in advance? Do they sign up to the mailing list of the various publishers maybe? I might go down this route, or even contact a couple of book reviewers to find out more, but hoping somebody here knows!

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

I think often the publishers, or a PR agency acting on their behalf, would contact the newspapers /reviewers letting them know of upcoming releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I have different publishers/ websites/authors websites email me their new booklists every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Thanks for the replies. Was too much to expect there to be one online source I suppose!

Autosport, which websites do you use? I'm going to contact publishers directly and ask to be put on their mailing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

"The Bookseller" is an industry magazine which afaik is not available without a paid subscription, though if you find their website there are some email alerts you can subscribe to.

They feature books for publication several months before their release so that libraries and bookshops know what to pick. They also run quarterly or so features on genres, kids books etc.

Chances are your local libtrary has a copy but it would be used for reference by staff so while they may let you look at it they probably won't let you take it home.

I think Books ireland, which is usually available in libraries for the public, has a listing of books for release in ireland. not sure how far in advance it runs though.

Hi! Yes I found out that Books Ireland give a brief synopsis/review of a hundred or so titles in advance of publication but I've yet to find out also how far in advance they issue this.

Have got in contact with two Irish publishers but so far no response. I wonder if it's a case that you already have to be with a paper/magazine to get this kind of info? As in they would need to release the book to you also for the purposes of reviewing it so I wonder how selective they are in doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Graceland

www.fantasticfiction.co.uk

I find the above book site brilliant. It lets you know upcoming books in different catagories. You can also put in the authors name and get a list of all their books, old and new, and in which order to read etc. You can click onto each book and most of the time it tells you what they are about. I think you should find this site good, I know I do :D

Graceland wrote: »
    www.fantasticfiction.co.uk

I find the above book site brilliant. It lets you know upcoming books in different catagories. You can also put in the authors name and get a list of all their books, old and new, and in which order to read etc. You can click onto each book and most of the time it tells you what they are about. I think you should find this site good, I know I do :D

Fabulous! Míle buíochas Graceland!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Graceland

pog it wrote: »
    Fabulous! Míle buíochas Graceland!

Is it what you were looking for?

Advertisement