Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel for the Evo Qualifier

Options
  • 06-05-2011 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I know the Evo qualifier isn't until next month but I would rather have this is sorted out as fast as possible.

Anyway, this is for those who intend travelling up to Dublin for this event and would like to stay overnight for it ( personally, I plan on heading up on the Friday and spending 2 nights there so I can go beering after the tournement. )

I think that everyone or at least as many people as possible should all book into the same hotel. With that in mind, could the Dublin crew or anyone whos stayed in Dublin in the past enlighten me as to where is a good cheap place to stay that is close to the venue?

Also, sharing of rooms is encouraged!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Maybe a seance as well? :p

http://www.google.ie/search?q=hotel+dublin+temple+ba&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#hl=en&pq=hotel%20dublin%20temple%20ba&xhr=t&q=hotel+dublin+temple+bar&cp=23&pf=p&sclient=psy&client=firefox-a&hs=PeM&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&source=hp&aq=0&aqi=&aql=&oq=hotel+dublin+temple+bar&pbx=1&fp=a805f710a4a45b03&biw=1440&bih=711

Loads of hotels - not sure how necessary it is to be in the one. The bar will facilitate this. If people want to collect in the one hotel, post here and I will see if we can get group discounts but for this we would need to have an idea of numbers that would require a stay.

Thanks
    Aaron

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

You're a culchie Jackson.

As I live in Dublin I've never had to get a hotel there but I know that Temple Bar is basically a tourist trap. It'll be top dollar there apparently.

Perhaps look at one of the hotels on the Northside of the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

There is a lot to be said for hostels-isaacs or whatever, cheap accom, security used to drunken idiots (I was once issued with 4 keys in 1 night), the other people staying there will be backpackers etc. who are always up for a laugh, free kitchen really cuts down on the expense of eating out, pool tables, one hostel even has a vending machine that sells booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i worked on this site a while back

http://www.superstays.ie

while the offers are over, it has a good listings of all the major and minor b & b's in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

So how do people plan on getting to dublin from cork? and what are yer plans?:confused:

• Advertisement

Train to Dublin is a tenner at 5:05, or 37e at 6:15 or 7:30. Realistically they are the only ones where we will be up on time. I would fall in favour of the massive saving to be had at 5:05 considering all the other costs of the trip.

Coming back on Sunday its 37e all day except the 11:15 which is 26e and the late train at ten again for a tenner. Up and down on the train for 20e is sweet if we can figure out a way to pass the day in Dublin.

The XGC is open sundays so a relaxing day of casuals to kill the hangover and the money we would save on train tickets would more than cover the cost of the consoles.

Could also fly with ryanair for 60e total leaving cork at 7:30 sat and departing dublin at 6:40 Sun.
    50 minute flight.

The bus is the same price as the cheap trains, but the bus to Dublin is painful and I want no part of it. If ye want to go that way I'll meet ye up there.

Final option:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58JsLdb2wHw

Accomodation:

http://reservations.bookhostels.com/isaacs.ie/hosteldetails.php?HostelNumber=107&Currency=EUR&DateStart=2011-6-18&NumNights=1

http://reservations.bookhostels.com/jacobsdublin/hosteldetails.php?HostelNumber=110&Currency=EUR&DateStart=2011-6-18&NumNights=1

I have stayed in both these places before had great craic and no hassle from security. The quicker we get this all sorted the better and if people can say they are definitely going and we have a decent crowd we may be able to avail of group rates. Thats not definite but no harm in asking. Anyone else got any recomendations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Cheers lad, I'd definitely be up for the 0505 train on the day.
    I'll probably go for getting the 1115 train back on Sunday. I'd probably spend double the €16 I'd save by waiting for the 2200 train on food and the XGC, and I'll probably be pretty burned out from fighting games from the day of Evo.

I'll be staying in my sisters, so I shan't be bunking up in those hostels with ye I'm afraid.

You make a good point I did not factor food into the equation on sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

The only thing is if I'm going to take such an early train, I'll need to crash at someones gaff in the city the night before and the night after as I'll have no way of getting to and from midleton on the days as it will either be too early or too late for the services.

That said if something can be worked out, I'll be more than up for it.

• Advertisement

And while I'm at it:

http://reservations.bookhostels.com/accommodationireland.net/availability.php?PHPSESSID=2886745614-11060216201RcKAT8JI6KMMl55do3OU7

This place is literally only a few minutes from the Exchange and is the place I'm thinking of booking myself.

The only thing is if I'm going to take such an early train, I'll need to crash at someones gaff in the city the night before and the night after as I'll have no way of getting to and from midleton on the days as it will either be too early or too late for the services.

That said if something can be worked out, I'll be more than up for it.

You stay in mine. Plenty of couches and carpets!

cheers,early train it is for me, gonna pre-book a hotel aswell in dub. cheapness ftw

EDIT: Hostel it is:p Isaacs probably

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭VizardAnto

The Early Train is pretty nice deal thanks Mackg should be getting this and then book a hotel as well :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

OK so I can put a couple of lads up as long as they dont mind going top to toe. anyway i'm about 45 mins away from town if anyone wants to avail!!

Just thought I'd point out that according to the Irish rail website, there is no late train on the Sunday going from Dublin. HOWEVER, the 7pm train going from Dublin to Cork will work out at 26 Euro, so the train would cost 36 all together.

G'man misty checked that again there and i was looking at the arrival time in cork. the 7 train is 26e but the 7:05 train is 10e just with a change in mallow and arriving 15 minutes later.

OK, thats me done and booked, I've booked the 5:05am train for Saturday and the 7:05 with the change in Mallow for Sunday. I've also booked the hostel whose link I posted earlier.

In case anyone is wondering I booked seat C37 going up and Seat B49 coming back. Both of these sections of seats were empty when I booked just there so if you haven't booked yet, you can book in those sections if you want to sit near me ( or maybe not, we can always join up on the train :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

If I'm bringing a console and games up, I'll need somewhere to put them for when we go out afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

If I'm bringing a console and games up, I'll need somewhere to put them for when we go out afterwards.

I am working on the idea of taking all the equip back to mine and people can collect - arrange the day after. Either way, I'll be bringing a shed load of equip back to my house before I head out after so I can take xboxi etc. TV's might be a prob as I will have two of mine and choppers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Sorry about this I'm going to have to rescind my offer for the room. The sister needs the room that weekend and she trumps the SF crowd, not by much though.

Just booked Train Depart 05:05 to Dublin, Return the 19th -Depart 19:05.
    And also booked Isaacs hostel, well paid a deposit so hopefully that's all sorted.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭VizardAnto

^^^^^ what he said =) sorted for me and booked no work involved for me:cool:
    Lets see if I got the money to pay up :pac:

Booked my tickets earlier today. It cost me €35 for the same trains y'all got above, so anyone who hasn't booked theirs yet may want to get a move on before they go up any higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Anyone got a place i can crash for the night? or even point me in the way of a cheap place to stay for the night.

I havn't booked yet despite all my earlier talk, if ya can't get a place to crash the Shine hostel on Malborough street still had rooms yesterday, pure cheap if ya don't mind being in a mixed dorm

Edit: gone, I'll post when I find something

just took the last place in the mount eccles hostel, check hostel world. Slim pickings now though id say a dive hotel or someones house is your best bet

Advertisement