Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overheating memory stick??

Options
  • 06-05-2011 1:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32

Hi Guys,

I really need help here,
    I have a Scandisk cruzer 8GB usb memory stick, for about 1.5 years now.
    When I inserted it into my laptop, it didnt recognise it nor did any usual light flash on the usb memory stick. Also, it has become severely hot, which makes me think its short circuiting or something.

Im panicing as all my course work is on it together with all my photos, is there anything i can do to recover the data.

For instance take out the 8gb memory and put it into a similar Scandisk usb memory stick??

Anyone that gives me advise that leads to the recovery of the data will get 50 euro!! Thats how bably I need the data.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

did you try a different usb port?
    did you try a different computer?

i know its stupid questions, but these are the first things that need to be done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 DJL292

Thanks for reply.

Yeah tried fifferent ports and computer, and its still severely overheating and nothing happening!

Any other suggestions>

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

DJL292 wrote: »
    Im panicing as all my course work is on it together with all my photos, is there anything i can do to recover the data.

:pac:

Never ever rely on flash memory to store valuable data, or even hard drives. Always keep backups.

That said, bit late now. It could be dead alright, but maybe not. I'd try very carefully splitting it along the molding seam and visually inspecting it for damage. Dont touch the silicone itself, hold it by the usb connector.

Also, have you checked the connector? If its been in your pocket its quite possible something has got stuck up in there and is causing the short.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Do you have a vac-pack bag handy? (One of the bags with a hole for a hoover, that you can suck the air out of)

If you do, stick it in one, and leave it in the freezer for twenty minutes or so. If the drive is overheating - not sure on that one - it might remain cool enough for you to grab what you need from it, if you're quick.

It's normally not a good idea to do this at all, but if your drive is as gone as I'm thinking it is, it won't hurt anything. Worst that'll happen is there'll be condensation somewhere that could short out the drive, but you leave it in a hot press for a while and you're back where you started, so no real harm done.

Advertisement