Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Many Times Can You Repeat?

Options
  • 05-05-2011 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭

I'm currently repeating as I failed Irish last year. I want to do computer programming but I'm very limited in my options due to doing Foundation Maths, I applied to do a PLC course in my college and they said my level of maths might be an issue even though some of the students on the course did foundation last year. If I don't get the points, I'd like to repeat again and try ordinary maths. I know maths is needed for computing but I didn't know it was a huge deal that's why I did foundation maths as the college I want to go to accept it.

So I was wondering how many times can I repeat the Leaving Cert? Someone told me it's only possible to do it twice, but he's sitting it for the third time. Others have said you can do it as many times as you want, but after the third time you have to study it on your own and aren't allowed do it in a college.

I'd like someone who knows what their talking about to shed some light on this. If I can't repeat, I'll even sit the whole leaving cert again if I have to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Others have said you can do it as many times as you want

This is true, AFAIK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

From the SEC's point of view you can do the exam as many times as you want. Many people do, taking one subject per year in an evening class. The only drawback is each time after the first is considered a repeat Leaving and the fee is higher.

Your local school may have a limit, probably so that they don't have a hairy 20+ student sitting in with 17 year olds.

Your other option might be to do a computer-related PLC course while also repeating Maths next year in an evening class.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

spurious wrote: »
    From the SEC's point of view you can do the exam as many times as you want. Many people do, taking one subject per year in an evening class. The only drawback is each time after the first is considered a repeat Leaving and the fee is higher.

Your local school may have a limit, probably so that they don't have a hairy 20+ student sitting in with 17 year olds.

Your other option might be to do a computer-related PLC course while also repeating Maths next year in an evening class.

I'll ask if my college has a limit as age isn't really a factor. The Repeat LC class has a handful of students in their mid-20s and a few late 20s/early 30s and as it's a Further Education college it's full of adults in their 30s/40s, but I'd imagine they wouldn't want the same person coming back 3 or 4 times.

If I can't repeat, I'll sit the whole LC again if I have to. A PLC is supposed to give people like me who can't get points an option to go onto further education yet I'm having trouble getting onto one. My college is full of wasters and they're telling me they'll have to see? I'm the one who's in every day, always in on time and I actually know where I want to go when I finish. I really want to go to college, I'm not just there to smoke weed all day and get Back To Education Allowance like a lot of people I know there. The amount of dropouts in the college is unreal, my Irish class has gone from 30 to 5 students.

The interviewer was happy to know I know the course is programming, as he said a lot of people find it tough and dropout after a month or two. If my maths is an issue, I'll do whatever extra work I can to improve. It's not that I'm bad at maths, I was just absent a lot on 6th year so missed a lot and dropped to Foundation as the college I want to go to accepts it and I didn't want to fail it, I was able to do the work when I was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I've heard of a guy who repeated 5 times to get the points for physiotherapy, so I assume you can do it as many times as you want/need..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I've heard of a guy who repeated 5 times to get the points for physiotherapy, so I assume you can do it as many times as you want/need..

I'd say that's lies... He could have gotten a Science Degree by that stage and by in his 1st or 2nd year of a Postgrad in Physio..!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

I know of students with 2 leaving certs, a degree, and another leaving cert...

But more practical advice for the OP: a fetac maths course is often accepted by ITs in lieu of LC ordinary maths, and it can be a much more 'do-able' course, in terms of time commitments and cost also. Google is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I know someone who sat it four times trying to get medicine. She ending up doing dentistry though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I'll ask if my college has a limit as age isn't really a factor. The Repeat LC class has a handful of students in their mid-20s and a few late 20s/early 30s and as it's a Further Education college it's full of adults in their 30s/40s, but I'd imagine they wouldn't want the same person coming back 3 or 4 times.

If I can't repeat, I'll sit the whole LC again if I have to. A PLC is supposed to give people like me who can't get points an option to go onto further education yet I'm having trouble getting onto one. My college is full of wasters and they're telling me they'll have to see? I'm the one who's in every day, always in on time and I actually know where I want to go when I finish. I really want to go to college, I'm not just there to smoke weed all day and get Back To Education Allowance like a lot of people I know there. The amount of dropouts in the college is unreal, my Irish class has gone from 30 to 5 students.

The interviewer was happy to know I know the course is programming, as he said a lot of people find it tough and dropout after a month or two. If my maths is an issue, I'll do whatever extra work I can to improve. It's not that I'm bad at maths, I was just absent a lot on 6th year so missed a lot and dropped to Foundation as the college I want to go to accepts it and I didn't want to fail it, I was able to do the work when I was in.

To be fair look at it from their point of view as well. I'm a little confused by your post. You said you're repeating the LC because you failed Irish. You said that you missed a lot of time in 6th year so you dropped to Foundation Level Maths. What level of maths are you doing this year if you are doing it at all?

If the PLC is in the same place as you are sitting your Leaving Cert and are currently attending they probably know you fairly well and are probably concerned that you won't be able for the Computer Programming PLC. I teach Programming on a PLC course and it isn't easy. And if you haven't taken maths this year they probably wonder why you didn't take it this year if you were so committed to wanting to pursue a programming course.

But to answer your question, you can do the LC as many times as you want if you are willing to pay the repeat fee. You don't have to be attached to a school or college to do it, you can sit it as an external candidate and if you can't find a school to put on your form which will allow you to sit the exams, the SEC will find one for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

But to answer your question, you can do the LC as many times as you want if you are willing to pay the repeat fee. You don't have to be attached to a school or college to do it, you can sit it as an external candidate and if you can't find a school to put on your form which will allow you to sit the exams, the SEC will find one for you.

Can someone confirm if this is still the case or has anything changed since 2011?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Can someone confirm if this is still the case or has anything changed since 2011?.

Definitely still the case. A girl I know is repeating for the third time at the moment. You should look into doing a PLC instead though. It's amazing how many routes there are into college courses and it might be a better option than repeating the Leaving cert again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Dylanw2u

Hey! I'm also into coding.

I'm currently looking at a course in Carlow I.T in computer games development.

I've been coding myself now for 5 years and have learn HTML, Jquery, LUA and SQL.

Please note, you actually don't need to be good at maths to code, nor do you need to even use that much maths in terms of coding. The only time you'd ever need to use a lot of maths is in graphics design, and even at that it has to be very high quality.

I think you could easily do ordinary maths, but most colleges require a B at least to get into a course that's associated with coding.
    Grinds would certainly help you, or just look at past exam papers and marking schemes to see what goes where and what the examiner will look for.

I personally know a person who is repeating his LC for the 4th time, he was however told my his guidance counselor that if he does plan on repeating the LC again, he should study at home as students may bully him for his age.

I don't think there is actually any limit to how many times you repeat the LC, but often schools will advise you to stay home upon repeating too many times.

Anyways, all the best with your LC, hope you get the course you apply for,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Dylanw2u wrote: »
    Hey! I'm also into coding.

I'm currently looking at a course in Carlow I.T in computer games development.

I've been coding myself now for 5 years and have learn HTML, Jquery, LUA and SQL.

Please note, you actually don't need to be good at maths to code, nor do you need to even use that much maths in terms of coding. The only time you'd ever need to use a lot of maths is in graphics design, and even at that it has to be very high quality.

I think you could easily do ordinary maths, but most colleges require a B at least to get into a course that's associated with coding.
    Grinds would certainly help you, or just look at past exam papers and marking schemes to see what goes where and what the examiner will look for.

I personally know a person who is repeating his LC for the 4th time, he was however told my his guidance counselor that if he does plan on repeating the LC again, he should study at home as students may bully him for his age.

I don't think there is actually any limit to how many times you repeat the LC, but often schools will advise you to stay home upon repeating too many times.

Anyways, all the best with your LC, hope you get the course you apply for,

Schools are not obliged to take repeat students at all, and also they do not want 20-somethings in with their 16-17 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭VG31

Schools are not obliged to take repeat students at all, and also they do not want 20-somethings in with their 16-17 year olds.

I know that my school does not take repeat students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

I would recommend anyone thinking of repeating to go elsewhere to repeat or take evening classes and repeat elsewhere. It's good to move on and build on independence skills for college.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

I believe they're obliged to take in a repeat student if he/she skipped TY as students are entitled to 6 years of secondary education.

Advertisement