Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

format hard drive using win 7

Options
  • 05-05-2011 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

my story is this. my machine was using win xp installed on c drive. i then installed win 7 on d drive. and could use both operating systems on boot up by choosing either one. now i only want to use win 7 and want to totally remove everything on c . i have already copied any important files. so that is not an issue.

but when i right click and choose format i am told windows cannot format this drive.

i have also tried doing this in the admin - computer management program.

so basically how will i format this now redundant system drive. i want to continue with win 7 and remove the xp from the c drive.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

You can't format that drive within Windows, by the way you've explained it your Windows 7 bootloader and stuff will have been installed on the first available NTFS partition (where XP is unfortunately also installed)

It's going to be messy as hell tbh... You might be better off just deleting the Windows and Program Files folders, and any other leftover files (as long as you're 100% positive that these belong to XP)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tadhgmorris

are you sure that Windows 7 bootloader and stuff will have been installed on the first available NTFS partition (where XP is unfortunately also installed). because just to clarify that i have installed the win 7 on a separate physical drive. so in my mind it will not effect the installation of xp which is on drive c:

would it be a possibility to remove drive, stick it into another machine and do a format that way obviously not having booted the os on the drive in question.

or is there any FREE software i can install that would be able to force the issue.

the copy of win 7 is a pirate but cracked wondering if i could use this disc on bootup i have a memory of format options using that, am i correct?

again thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Wow advertising the fact your using an illegal copy of windows isnt smart.

If you want to find out if the bootloader is on the xp drive you could just disconnect that drive and try switch on, youll find out fast enough.

I'm not certain, but it seems pretty likely..
    You could always just boot from a linux CD and use gparted to format the partition (Parted magic is a handy one for doing stuff like this)
    Bear in mind that if what I first said is true, you'll most likely have to boot from the Windows 7 CD after you do this to repair the bootloader, and it might not be able to recover it...

Best way to do it is to just back up your stuff, format everything and install Windows 7 again, as this sounds like a bit of a Frankenstein style dual boot...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Partition magic would probably be the easiest, just get a copy that boot from, pretty simple after that.

• Advertisement

ok i am using a torrent site to get the partition magic software however i am seeing from peoples comments that the p magic is not compatible with win 7. what do you think. is there a specific release or version thats best to use. thanks

Viper_JB wrote: »
    Partition magic would probably be the easiest, just get a copy that boot from, pretty simple after that.

Doesn't work in Vista or 7 as it doesn't support the 4kb partition alignment. There's no version that does work with them either.

The boot loader is always installed to the active partition, regardless of what partition Windows is installed to. Messy as hell unless you know what you're doing. You'll have to reinstall the boot loader and rebuild the BCD store. It may not even be possible if your Windows 7 partition is inside an extended partition.

Don't think I've ever seen somebody so brazenly admit to being a warez monkey on boards:p
    Just wipe and reinstall tbh... Chances are your cracked version of Windows 7 will just stop working after 30 days anyway...

the cracked version of win 7 i going now for three months tea boy. as for werez well who's knocking on any doors. well who is? so whats the big deal. you said just wipe and reinstall. you must have missed my point but thats exactly what i am trying to do. i want to wipe the drive. i cannot do this. i am looking for help

sincerely

the monkey

Advertisement