Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating a forum

Options
  • 05-05-2011 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Ok guys I am interested in creating and hosting a forum I havepracticed a bit on freeforums.org I would adverise my forum but I dont want to do it because if this forum becomes popular in time I will not be able to move the forum to a different host (if my understanding is right).

My queastion or queastions are where is the best place to host for starters cheap and reliable? Do I have to buy an app in order to create a forum that can be moved from host to host when I want to without loosing all the topics and posts and ofcourse members on the forum?

I am reletevly good at computers but I have a lack of knowlege in WEB design

Please help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

It's quite easy to move a phpBB3 forum (which is what freeforums.org use) but I'm not sure how much access freeforums give you to the admin panel.

We can't discuss hosting on Boards.ie (see charter) but I will say that can get some for just a few euro a month.

You don't need any special apps to move a forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭7Tdriver

Allright now what concersn me is how do I keep the forum safe can I save the whole forum onto my own pc incase someone hacks in or I decide to take a brake and discountinue the forum lets say a month and still kepp all the posts and memebers this is a part where I am woried.

I was looking tob uy this sofware http://www.vbulletin.com/ How come you dont need any softwere on freeforums and then theres some softwares like the one above bulletins where it cists money for the software ?

7Tdriver wrote: »
    Allright now what concersn me is how do I keep the forum safe can I save the whole forum onto my own pc incase someone hacks in or I decide to take a brake and discountinue the forum lets say a month and still kepp all the posts and memebers this is a part where I am woried.
    If you have your own host then you can take backups, yes. I'm not sure how much access you have with freeforums.org but I'm sure they must have some backup service maybe at an extra cost.
    I was looking tob uy this sofware http://www.vbulletin.com/ How come you dont need any softwere on freeforums and then theres some softwares like the one above bulletins where it cists money for the software ?
    freeforums already install the 'software' for you on their server. It's called phpBB and it's 'Open Source' (ie. Free to use and developed by a community of volunteers).

vBulliten is developed by a commercial company and that's why they charge money for it. (Boards.ie runs on vBulliten.)

There are pro's and con's to both systems but I'm a big fan of Open Source.

Do I have to renew the licence on VBulettin every 6 months? Can use the softwear without renewing the licence or just by renewing it every year or 2 until the forum gets bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Do I have to renew the licence on VBulettin every 6 months? Can use the softwear without renewing the licence or just by renewing it every year or 2 until the forum gets bigger.

Once you buy the software you own it. If you want to upgrade you may need to renew your license but there's no recurring fees.

Given the high failure rate of forums you'd be crazy to buy vBulletin straight off. Use PhpBB for a while and if your forum gets popular buy vBulletin then.

• Advertisement

@Cormee

I know what your saying but will I be able to toatly move all my threads and members from an open source forum like php to vbulettin?

Yes.

@ Cormee and Scotty

THANKS! I have the basic knowlege now I can go and do some more reseach and hopefully go on and create a forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

@Cormee

I know what your saying but will I be able to toatly move all my threads and members from an open source forum like php to vbulettin?

Yep, takes about 5 minutes. Not much more to it than filing in a few details, click a link and you're done.

Advertisement