Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overhead "X" sign

Options
  • 05-05-2011 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hi,

just watching the macho man dvd and in his very first match against hogan he takes an atomic drop and dives out of the ring. He hides out there for a while (doing the usual taunting of his opponent and hiding behind elizabeth when hogan comes for him), when he finally gets back into the ring, he does an overhead x sign and hogan responds in kind.

My question is what does this mean ... was he injured, did they miss a spot? I know that the x across the chest means injured, but over the head?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

DX before their time! Call the presses! :eek::eek:

What match is this? I'll have to look it up. Any chance of a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Usually it is a sign to the back from the ref that soemthing is genuinely wrong in the ring.

No idea what they are up to in that pic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

found it on youtube....it happens at the 08.20 mark :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMCN2rMarH0&feature=related

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I don't think anyone's injured as both still take bumps :confused: Maybe it was either the "let's go home" (which could've been whispered instead) .....maybe it's some kind of in-joke. If I find out anything I'll let u know :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Straight edge means the Mega Powers are better than you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

Cant give you a real answer but a major issue with MSG even to this day is the curfew. Wrestling events, concerts etc need to be over at a certain time. Many venues have it but it is particularly strict there for whatever reason and promoters face massive fines if they go over time. So the "go home" explanation may be the most logical. Either that or it was an in joke between Hulk and Randy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

A bit OT, but this match shows the difference in modern wrestling and the 80s. Macho Man and Hogan had literally years to perfect their matches before they eventually headlined Wrestlemania. They could do so because they wrestled in big events at MSG, but they weren't televised to the whole world like they would be nowadays. So their WM main event still had that X-factor. Whereas now, it probably wouldn't have that factor.

Check out the first few minutes of their WM main event and it is eerily similar to the MSG match years earlier. Now everybody would be online complaining about "same old shít". Although Savage could have a 5 star match with a block of wood.

Edit: Found a better set of videos. Also, Tony Schiavone! They did a great job making it seem important in the build up.

Jesse Ventura's comments after the 3 count sum up my thoughts on the last 30 seconds of action: This makes me sick :pac:

Also major laughs at Monsoon so blatantly lying about the noise of the crowd! Vince must have been roaring it through the headphones "the noise is deafening damn it!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

From watching recent WWE for a while, I think the overhead X sign means something is wrong. I think any other X sign such as across the chest or whatever is something different and could be anything. Just my guess though.

Check out Over The Limit last year when Orton got injured whilst he was "hulking up" before going for the RKO. From what I remember the ref does the X to the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Cactus Colm

A bit OT, but this match shows the difference in modern wrestling and the 80s. Macho Man and Hogan had literally years to perfect their matches before they eventually headlined Wrestlemania. They could do so because they wrestled in big events at MSG, but they weren't televised to the whole world like they would be nowadays. So their WM main event still had that X-factor. Whereas now, it probably wouldn't have that factor.

I don't think that's entirely true though ... when Flair made his way over to WWF himself and Hogan were pited together on the the house show circuit, when it came time to build for wrestlemania audiences were burnt out on it, and Macho Man got the Flair match instead. (Hogan had the less impressive opponent of Sid Justice).

• Advertisement

I don't think that's entirely true though ... when Flair made his way over to WWF himself and Hogan were pited together on the the house show circuit, when it came time to build for wrestlemania audiences were burnt out on it, and Macho Man got the Flair match instead. (Hogan had the less impressive opponent of Sid Justice).

I know about the Flair/Hogan story. That's not the mid-80s. Which is what I was talking about. The changeover period from wrestling being territorial to be being nationwide was not over when Hogan and Savage were having those matches in 85 and 86. I'm just saying that Hogan and Savage had very similar matches to smaller audiences in the mid 80s.

As for the overhead X in the Savage/Hogan match, I guess from looking at it, it could be seen as Macho Man trying to avoid the series of collar and elbow tie ups? Since they had just had a series of them where Hogan had come out on top. And then Hogan just mimicked him?

I'm just guessing. But it's a totally different gesture to the overhead X that refs do when there is an injury or some other issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

just watched the youtube clip I posted again, and some other dude has asked the same question as I did :) No respnses to it as of yet though.

I originally thought that he'd really taken the atomic drop and busted his ass, cos looking at it again there's a split second before his feet touch the mat after he landds on hogans knee :D

I kind of agree that big ppv (well they weren't really ppv to us back then) matches seemed a lot fresher in the 80's and early 90's than they do today due to the fact that they only really put big matches on tv at these type of events. Though tbh I doubt there were many times hogan slammed andre at house shows before wm3 :pac:

Advertisement