Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial Vehicle for box pulling

Options
  • 05-05-2011 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I am hoping to buy a commercial vehicle which I intend to pull horse box with. My question is, if my horse is chipped and registered, do I get a herd number? I would need this I think to get commercial tax on vehicle!

Appreciate your comments/experience on this!

Thank you
    P

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Can you actually get herd numbers for horses??

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pmason

I don't know. Just wondering how other people get around this?:confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

there is no herd number for horses if there was there would not be half the problem of over breeding in this country.

if you breed horses and do this for a living and all the animals are registered with Horse Sport Ireland they will give you a letter to specify that you are a horse breeder and that you use your jeep for horse use carrying feed pulling horsebox etc.

Other wise you will have to go off like a lot of people and get your EB licence to pull a horsebox on your vehicle as you can no longer pull a horse box on a normal full car licence you need an EB licence
    (if you have not got it already and then purchase a 4 wd car that will still pull a horse box and be elligible to do so without going down the commercial jeep route. something suitable would be like a subaru forrester or a nissan x trail )

to get commercial tax on a commercial vehicle you need to go into your garda station and sign a form to say you will NOT be using your Commercial vehicle for recreation purposes ( this elliminates most of the amateur horse people around . !!!)

you are caught between a rock and a hard place as if you get this form signed and then you pull your horse box you ARE using it for recreational purposes.

any help ??

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

Hi,

Im a little confused about the original post. If you buy a commercial vehicle its taxed commercially. A van or a jeep are around €288 per annum and they usually have 2 or 3 seats. Are you looking to buy a car and try and get commercial on it or are are you looking for advice on which vehicle is best to tow a box, because there are a lot of different answers. Also we would need to know what type of box you have, two horse, 4 horse etc etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pmason

Hi Twoneys
    Its a commercial 2 seater jeep. It is was taxed commercially by a guy for business purposes. I, on the other hand, do not have a business, just own my own horse and would like to tax it commercially (lower tax). I would be using the vechicle to tow a horse box from time.

Thanks!
    P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 junca

Im a little confused about the original post. If you buy a commercial vehicle its taxed commercially.

Nope no longer the case you have to register your vehicle as commercial with the guards now.

Yes you do get a herd no for equines, i breed andalusians and have an equine herd no :o) but you gotta have a herd first ;)

Ive had commercial vehicles for years. All mine have been passenger jeeps converted to commercial before I bought them. I have never once been asked do I own a business by the tax office and I really dont think they care.

What is important is to get your insurance right. As far as I know you can own a commercial vehicle and insure it privately. Also make sure your covered to tow a box. FBD for example give it as standard with all comercial vehicle insurance but if its privately insured I think you must state that you tow the box so you have cover on it WHILE its attached to the vehicle.

As I say I have never been asked do I own a business and neither has my partner. And as for that Garda crack down on commercial vehicles being used for shopping etc, that was all a load of newspaper waffle. Ask any garda you know would they stop a van coming out of a centra doing the shopping they will all say no...

As for jeeps. I use a long wheel base 3.2L pajero, my partner has a long wheel base land cruiser, both those pul an iFor williams 505 with ease. Ive been told by others to avoid crew cabs and pick ups for towing boxes as they can jack knofe easier... I personally have found my automatic Pajero pulls the box fully loaded smoother than the manual land cruiser, then again Im bias cause I love my Pajer and hate her Cruiser!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 leather

I bought a passanger 4x4 because there was a hullabulloo about this at the time and i didnt think Id get away with taxing commercially. Waste me having two back seats cz i never use them. Anyway, Im raging I didnt just go with a commercial, everyone that i know has gotten away with it. You dont have to be a breeder, you just need to prove that you own a horse afaik. Lots of the tax offices dont even ask from what I hear, and then you can just keep taxing in online after the first time anyway so no questions asked

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

u cant tax a commercial online can you??

• Advertisement

I bought a passanger 4x4 because there was a hullabulloo about this at the time and i didnt think Id get away with taxing commercially. Waste me having two back seats cz i never use them. Anyway, Im raging I didnt just go with a commercial, everyone that i know has gotten away with it. You dont have to be a breeder, you just need to prove that you own a horse afaik. Lots of the tax offices dont even ask from what I hear, and then you can just keep taxing in online after the first time anyway so no questions asked

I bought a commercial pick up truck last year it was taxed commercial, when the re tax form came this year it came with a form which i had to take to my local gardai station to have it signed stating i was only going to use it for commercial purposes. so i am afraid you can no longer tax a 4 by 4 on the cheaper commercial tax rate unless you fill in one of those forms. It is the law now.

Oh and i had to bring the proof in form of my equine and ovine herd number ceritficate.

We only got our renewal form recently and there was no other forms included. Now we have a business and CRO docs but whats to stop someone setting up a CRO name and saying your commercial or part time commercial. As the minister for transport said in an interview. This law goes back over twenty years and is inforceable but its up to the local Garda to enforce it in their district.

I think ye're all being way to honest!!!! But interesting to know you can get herd number for horses..

Eoghan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

do you not have to get a form signed by the guards if you want to tax commercial ?

I have never signed a form but maybe Ill get it now on my renewal. But its a grey area and Ive asked a garda about this. The main thing is that your insured correctly. Cause if there is an accident and your insured privately but you were using it commercially then they may not pay out. If your taxed commercially or privately it wont effect a claim. Saying that obviously if your on a check point and you get a garda thats by the book I guess you could have issues. All; that said I my jeep is taxed commercially but was a passenger vehicle and its has tinted windows so you cant tell if its private or commercial and Ive never had an issue. Its an interesting topic though. Ill be renewing my tax in the next month or so so Ill keep you posted on what happens!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

gigino wrote: »
    do you not have to get a form signed by the guards if you want to tax commercial ?

yep, the tax office will issue that to you. And if you are taxing it commericially you must also present either your vat number or prsi number. in addition they can also ask to see your insurance cert - so if you are wishing to tax commercially you must also be insured commercially. This i know cos i had to tax my jeep last month and got stung for the commerical tax.

Advertisement