Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So got the crampons...now the boots!

Options
  • 05-05-2011 9:07am

A few months back, was asking about crampons for use out and about on Reeks in winter. General recommendation was for Grivel G12s, and managed to locate a pair second hand.

So the next question is, which boot? I have Meindl Island Pro, but general reaction is that they won't take too much crampon use at all. Seems that I need a new pair of boots - hadn't really considered that expense, but guess I'll just have to scour Ebay and various sites. I don't fancy spending €200 plus and going for a new pair. Saw elsewhere that someone got Scarpa Mantas in TK Maxx for €70, but have scanned their site and they're not making that mistake giving that bargain again.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

The scarpa manta's would take a G12 no problem (assuming the binding isn't the toe-well attachment).

That's some bargain getting the Manta's for €70, they normally retail for about €240 or so.

Do you only want these boots for winter stuff, or do you plan to use them all year round? If all year round then I'd go with a B2 boot, maybe something like:
    • Scarpa Mantas (already mentioned)
    • Sportiva Trangos
    • Scarpa Charmoz
    I'd try and stay clear of buying online unless you've tried the boot on already and are 100% clear that your foot size suits the boot.

Could also keep on eye the buy and sell forum over on http://forum.climbing.ie, they sell boots from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

What size are you? I'm selling a pair of these in 44.5.
    I've only used them for a week and they're a fraction too big for me, worked grand with my G12's but you'd have to have the classic bindings.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Don't know the Meindl Island Pro, but googled a bit and looked at a few images as well. They don't seem particularly bendy, and the crampons would make them a fair bit more rigid.

For general winter mountaineering (and say up to Scottish Grade III at least), it looks to me like you would be perfectly fine with the Meindls. I say give them a fair test before splashing out on a new pair!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Chris O Donoghue

Hi Conor:

I bought a pair of La Sportiva Trangos last year, and I've worn them throughout the winter with G12s, they were great.

they're very light, waterproof and have great grip. I was slightly cold in the the Galtees gullies in December, but it was -12 so can't complain really.

I found I had to get a half size bigger than usual, I usually take a 42 but had to get 42.5.

My G12s are semi-automatic, i.e. they have the bale at the rear but normal strap on the front.

Do you only want these boots for winter stuff, or do you plan to use them all year round? If all year round then I'd go with a B2 boot, maybe something like:
    • Scarpa Mantas (already mentioned)
    • Sportiva Trangos
    • Scarpa Charmoz

Thanks, would be all year round.
    SomeFool wrote: »
    What size are you? I'm selling a pair of these in 44.5

No, would be really 8 1/2, but thanks anyway.
    Esel wrote: »
    Don't know the Meindl Island Pro, but googled a bit and looked at a few images as well. They don't seem particularly bendy, and the crampons would make them a fair bit more rigid.

For general winter mountaineering (and say up to Scottish Grade III at least), it looks to me like you would be perfectly fine with the Meindls.

While I'm grateful for all the help, I think I like your post best! :D
    I found I had to get a half size bigger than usual, I usually take a 42 but had to get 42.5.

Heard that alright. Where did you buy? Price? And do you get much use of them apart from winter conditions, are they your standard walking or climbing boots? They heavy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Chris O Donoghue

Heard that alright. Where did you buy? Price? And do you get much use of them apart from winter conditions, are they your standard walking or climbing boots? They heavy?[/QUOTE]

I bought them in Chamonix, when we were on holidays in our camper van last July; they were €300, no great bargain but the service there is brilliant, the guy spent about 20 minutes checking my foot size, talking about what I planned to do, crampons etc. (I usually but my gear in Cork but got these on a whim)

I use them all the time, here, Scotland, Alps, via feratt, the lot. I just finished a full week doing the Mountain Leader assessment, including camping in Donegal and they were great.

They're as light as a feather. I used to have pair of Meindl Makulas, a great boot too but I found them heavy.

Advertisement