Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Shower visable night of May 6th?

Options
  • 04-05-2011 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I am wondering if anyone would have information on a meteor shower that is due to be visable in the night-sky on May 5th into the morning of May 6th. I wouldn't be advanced by any means as regards astronomy and would like to get the best possible viewing of this event without telescope etc. What would be the best possible time to view the peak of the event and in what general direction (as I am in the west of the country) , or does it matter?

As far as I know it will be clear enough with maybe the odd (torrential :mad:) rain shower promised but if all going to plan, I might get a peak at it. Any info on the topic is appericiated :)

Comments

Yeah, the Eta Aquarids will be hitting its peak on the night of the 5th and morning of the 6th. Here's a pretty good guide, it'll tell you all you'll need to know to see the shower as well as you possibly can. All we can hope for now are clear skies!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭buttylegs

Cheers for the link :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Weather conditions look very poor for viewing tonight unfortunately

I've caught the odd few in between breaks in cloud, very impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭buttylegs

Im based in Galway city and ive gone out there for about 15 mins, clear skies but no sightings-at all:confused:. I am looking in the direction of east, I am nearly sure thats the right direction, just wondering why I haven't seen anything yet. I am in a moderatly light area but its not strong enough that it would hamper visibility???

• Advertisement

I think we need to wait until later in the night (around 4am) for the optimum part of the ski to become viewable to us, the constellation Aquarius!

EDIT: Yeh 4am should be the peak, look in an East/South East direction, not too high up in the sky

Advertisement