Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wheat beer

Options
  • 04-05-2011 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭

have a coopers wheat beer on the go at the moment
    added some coriander and orange peel to the ferment to try and get a hoegargen clone ,
    fermenting 2 weeks now, took a sample few days ago and has a nice aroma and taste to it already,
    see how it goes :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

good stuff, looking to try a good hg clone ... where did you get your recepie?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Mashtun

I currently have an orange honey heffeweizen on the go, had a taste last night and i think it's gonna be top drawer stuff.

Here's where i got the recipe

http://www.dubbeldachs.com/recipes_ohh.htm

Cant wait till its ready

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭GY A1

Armelodie wrote: »
    good stuff, looking to try a good hg clone ... where did you get your recepie?

looked through a number of clone recipes on various web sites, most recipes were all grain based with varying amounts of coriander and orange peel, decided to try this with extract kit instead,

boiled 28g ground coriander and 1 grated orange peel with 1 ltr of water and then added to coopers wheat kit in fermenter.
    it wont have the same colour as hoegarden but smells nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

GY A1 wrote: »
    looked through a number of clone recipes on various web sites, most recipes were all grain based with varying amounts of coriander and orange peel, decided to try this with extract kit instead,

boiled 28g ground coriander and 1 grated orange peel with 1 ltr of water and then added to coopers wheat kit in fermenter.
    it wont have the same colour as hoegarden but smells nice :D

Also you these dry wheat yeasts are also very good and will give your Belgian wit the edge. As I suspect the cooper kit come with there standard ale yeast.

Brewferm Wheat Yeast
    2eb86811694d1c928f57fd6cf2fe393f.image.114x138.jpg

or T-58 yeast
    yeastbt58.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

Just got my first kit and brewing the lager that comes with the coopers kit, looking forward to my second batch already and want to do a wheat beer next.

Will prob get a smaller fermenter to experiment with. How easy is it to use honey in a brew?

Any thoughts on how vanilla would go with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lars

blocparty wrote: »
    How easy is it to use honey in a brew?

I just bottled my third brew(first extract brew) from beertools
    http://beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=7657
    It used honey which was added in near the end of the boil. Tasted really good on bottling day kinda citrus . Cant comment on final result yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Bugsyboy1

GY A1 wrote: »
    have a coopers wheat beer on the go at the moment
    added some coriander and orange peel to the ferment to try and get a hoegargen clone ,
    fermenting 2 weeks now, took a sample few days ago and has a nice aroma and taste to it already,
    see how it goes :)
    Hi

I have just put my Coopers wheat beer into my secondary fermenter today after 3 days fermenting. I want to get the orangey flavours too. Could you (or anybody)give a step by step on how to do it?

Cheers
    Paul

Bugsyboy1 wrote: »
    Hi

I have just put my Coopers wheat beer into my secondary fermenter today after 3 days fermenting. I want to get the orangey flavours too. Could you (or anybody)give a step by step on how to do it?

Cheers
    Paul

Coriander seeds are what give the orange flavor, crush (11-25g) and sanitized with a little alcohol and the liquid to your fermenter. You can also add some frewn orange peel too

that and a good Dry wheat yeast like

Brewferm Wheat (i think is the best dry yeast)
    Brewferm_Wheat_yeast.jpg

or T-58
    safbrew%20t58.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Bugsyboy1

So crush some coriander seeds in a little vodka and then put in the fermenter? Is that the idea. The orange peel. Grated orange peel in vodka again and then dropped into the fermenter? Would a couple of couple of oranges grated be enough. frewn??

Thanks for your help.
    Paul

Bugsyboy1 wrote: »
    So crush some coriander seeds in a little vodka and then put in the fermenter? Is that the idea. The orange peel. Grated orange peel in vodka again and then dropped into the fermenter? Would a couple of couple of oranges grated be enough. frewn??

Thanks for your help.
    Paul

2-3 three good oranges will be enough, also try to avoid the pith as it will a too much bitterness. I would give both coriander seeds and orange a vodka bath as your not boil the wort to help kill off any nasty 's

• Advertisement
Advertisement