Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rook rescue

Options
  • 04-05-2011 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭

So, I was on the road a short time ago and noticed a young corvid on the ground not doing much. I stopped and approached it but it didn't try to get away.

It was directly under a rookerie so I put it out of harms way on a high pillar. But I noticed that its breathing was very laboured and it was coughing.

It's now in a box in the house. Won't eat or drink and keeps it's eyes closed quite a lot.

I don't expect good news in the morning :(

Any tips? Here's hoping.

The rookery is around the corner so I can put him back if he improves.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

When I was a nipper I used to hang around with the local farmer and every year he would destroy any hooded crow nests he came across. But he would also keep one or two chicks each year and hand rear them.

AFAICR, he'd feed them brown bread and dog/cat food mixed with a well with a bit of water and force feed them with a big plastic syringe. After a few days they'd be begging for it.

maybe keep the box in the hotpress with the immersion on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Dead :(

Very contorted too poor thing.

Symptoms remind me of some of the sick finches from about the house over the years. They would also die in some sort of fit.

The rook also had great difficulty breathing like the finches.

Hopefully its not Trichomonosis. Interestingly, Rooks have been rooting around under the feeders over the past few weeks....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

That's a pity.

On Mooney they were saying yesterday that only 20% of chicks survive to adult hood which I thought was very low. Only 10% for migratory species.

They also had reports of a Mallard in cork with 21 ducklings :eek::eek::eek:!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

The young rook may have had internal injuries from its fall from the nest.

Advertisement