Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

am i pregnant???

Options
  • 04-05-2011 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

hey ladies! i have an unusual situation i hope some of you can help me figure out, over the last week i have done 4 clearblue digital pregnancy test and all 4 have showed up "Pregnant 1-2 weeks" the last one i took was yesterday morning with my first urine of the morning, to my absolute shock 3 hours later i went to my doctor for his urine test to show up NEGATIVE!! i could not believe it so i went 2 my nurse today an her's also showed up negative... waiting on blood test results on friday which is 2 days away seems so long!!! i am late my period 12 days and have sore breasts and nipples and constatntly tired, peeing alot more to.. i just dont understand how 4 home test are telling me i am pregnant and doc's urine test shows negative, could blood test come back as positive..??? any advice or this happen to anyone else??? are clearblue digital tests as accurate as they say they are? x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Docs test are not as sensitive as the home ones.

I was 8 weeks pregnant and the docs test showed up negative while I had 8 tests at home that confirmed positive. Lo and behold I now have a lovely little two year old to show for that negative test :p

Looks like you're pregnant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Manda21

aw bless.. i bet you were so happy :) i was getting excited until d doctor burst my bubble yesterday with his negative urine test so i am hopeing d blood test will result positive.. i am taking my folic acid tabs and eating well also taking regular nap's as they are needed badly!!! :) i was told that d doctor's test only pick up the hormone level if it is strong but the fact the clearblue tests stated 1-2 weeks i know i am in early stages. i have been getting little cramps the last 3 hours, nothing major. still no sign of bleeding thankfully so i guess now all i can do is wait!!! x

I got back into the car with my partner and bawled my eyes out! He drove me straight to the nearest pharmacy and we picked up four more tests and done them one after the other, I went back the next day with the tests and then he believed me...

Funny thing is, we weren't trying for a baby so I didn't understand why I was so upset that I "wasn't" pregnant... he didn't seem concerned and just told me I wasn't pregnant and better luck next month...

Good luck, this is a great forum with lots of advice so stick around :) we even have our own dedicated pregnant womens moan thread :p

my pregnancy wasnt planned either but i was getting excited thinking about my little one.. i did go to my nurse last wednesday after i did my first home test and she said i would be due late december so you can imagine my shock when yesterday my doc got negative.. did you test with the clearblue digital's? i was told they are quiet accurate. x

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The tests work on detecting a chemical(a hormone I think) in your urine that is only found when you are pregnant

Thus, if the chemical is only in low traces or watered down a savage amount if youve maybe drank loads of water, it'll then not show up and show a negative result.

And if the chemical is there in high enough doses in your pee it will show up.

So.....
    If you do four tests and one is positive and three not you are pregnant as this pregnancy hormone/ chemical is being produced by your body

Congrats!!

(translation, false negatives can happen, false positives don't )

• Advertisement

Thanks 4 the advice.. really appericiate it, i was getting so disheartened but now things are looking more positive for me. i will do another clearblue test tommorw and see... cant wait till friday!!! x

Manda21 wrote: »
    Thanks 4 the advice.. really appericiate it, i was getting so disheartened but now things are looking more positive for me. i will do another clearblue test tommorw and see... cant wait till friday!!! x

First response all the way for me haha

I was due in December too :) christmas babies rule!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

My gp doesn't actually bother using those tests anymore. I'm pregnant for the third time now, sadly I miscarried on one, but on all three visits he took my word but also took all the bloods normally carried out at booking visit to hospital, saves so much time on that visit. He told me he that over the counter hpt's are more sensitive that the one's they use.

Congratulations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Doctors tests are cheap and useless! And some doctors can be so very bloody insensitive. All 3 of my pregnancies (m/c on 2) I have gone to the doctor too early for their tests to show up positive, but I have a great doctor and she just asked me to come back a week later and bring my first morning pee which has the higher concentration of HCG in it. If you are not using the first pee of the day for the doctors test then this could also be a contributing factor in their test showing as negative.

Basically, you can only get a positive pregnancy test if you are pregnant. Congratulations :D

I was also due late December. Winter babies are the best :D

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Thats so weird! Well if u gad just done one home test and then got the different result at doc we could say there was a fault with the home pregnancy test...but clearly not! Anyway when i found out i was pregnant i didnt want to believe it and had the nurse do a second test, she told me there is no such thing as a false positve result, only a false negative...so going on that id have to ssay congratulations;)hope everything goes well with bloods x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

my GP has never asked me to do a pregnancy test. He told me that there's no such thing as a false positive. Sounds to me like you're pregnant, just early days. I feel your pain re the sore boobs by the way :D

im starting to think i may be in the early stages and my doc's test wasnt sensitive because i just did another clearblue and it now states "pregnant 2-3 weeks" and it was "1-2 weeks on tuesday morning!!!! sound good??? is ther a chance the blood's could come back negative or do they detect the hormone at any stage..??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

im starting to think i may be in the early stages and my doc's test wasnt sensitive because i just did another clearblue and it now states "pregnant 2-3 weeks" and it was "1-2 weeks on tuesday morning!!!! sound good??? is ther a chance the blood's could come back negative or do they detect the hormone at any stage..??

As far as I can remember, a blood test can detect the hCG hormone from a few days after conception, so if you are pregnant you should get a positive from that!
    Doctors tests really aren't sensitive-
    My GP didn't bother getting me to do a test either, just took my word on it!

@January- 8 tests?! then another 4?! I thought I had overdone it with 6!! :p

i know, todays home test will be my 5th test and all positive!!! if i add up how much i have spent on them in the last week id be doing well.... lol il be glad when its this time tomorrow, it will all be over (hopefuly) an i will finally have that yes or no answer iv been waitng for!!!! im just hopeing my doc's test did not have enough sensitiveity to detect the hormone on tuesday!!!!

liliq wrote: »
    As far as I can remember, a blood test can detect the hCG hormone from a few days after conception, so if you are pregnant you should get a positive from that!
    Doctors tests really aren't sensitive-
    My GP didn't bother getting me to do a test either, just took my word on it!

@January- 8 tests?! then another 4?! I thought I had overdone it with 6!! :p

Yep spent a bucket load on them and the woman in the chemist looked at me weird when I bought them all... and then came back for more the next day :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I was told by one of the midwives in Holles Street not to rely on the dating tests. I don't know why, and didn't ask lol, but she seemed to think they weren't reliable for dating purposes, they're fine for detection purposes though.

Maybe it's coming up as 2-3 weeks because there was more hormone in that wee or something? Don't get too bogged down by the weeks though...but another positive pregnancy test is a pretty good sign :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I was told by one of the midwives in Holles Street not to rely on the dating tests. I don't know why, and didn't ask lol, but she seemed to think they weren't reliable for dating purposes, they're fine for detection purposes though.

Maybe it's coming up as 2-3 weeks because there was more hormone in that wee or something? Don't get too bogged down by the weeks though...but another positive pregnancy test is a pretty good sign :D

The tests 'date' from conception whereas midwives/obs date from the first day of your last period. So if a clearblue is saying you are 2-3 weeks, you are actually probably closer to 4-5 weeks.

Advertisement