Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cast Iron Postbox

Options
  • 04-05-2011 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

I am currently building a new house and am trying to source a cast iron post box to build into pier. All I can seem to find on net are steel or cast aluminum boxes. Whats the difference between cast iron and aluminum other than cost? Anyone know a supplier of cast iron in Ireland?

thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Try Baileboro foundry in Co Cavan, I bought a fireplace of them a few years back.
    http://www.bfl.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mickward

The Cast Aluminium one would be every bit as good as the cast iron and the aluminium will not rust as quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Aluminium does not rust - ever.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_aluminium

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

My bike is aluminium all the way through, I never have to put it in the shed when it rains as it never rusts. forget the cast iron and go for the former. You'll only be changing it again years down the line. But then again, someone could break into the aluminium one more easily than the cast Iron one could they not?

I was reared in muirhevna mor which is why I know these things:pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mickward

Aluminium will oxidise if you prevent oxygen from getting to the surface of the material, this can be seen by a white chalky substance on the surface of the material, this process will also cause the paint to flake off.
    So if you were to seal up around the letterbox it would eventually corrode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Ballyduffer

Hi moranb2,

Try www.postboxcompany.com they have built in and through the wall cast aluminium post boxes of various colours. They also have a list of stockists. I purchased a built in about 2 years ago from Heavins Hardware in Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

How thoughtful of you to register to let the OP of a 2.5 month old thread know about this fantastic service in another part of the country.

It must be fate that you were browsing another county's forum and stumbled across it. We need more individuals like you, Ballyduffer - the type that will cross a busy street to help a stranger in need.

I don't think i'm too hasty in starting a slow clap - just for you, Ballyduffer. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Post is slow these day isn't it.......

Advertisement